• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 7.5"

XNorCalX

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I was at Rubicon Express last week and they mentioned that although it is not advertised they do offer a 7.5 inch lift. He explained that it creates steering issues which can only be solved with parts that they don't provide. Do any of you have this lift and/or know how to sove the steering issues?
Thanks

Hey guys. I was at Rubicon Express last week and they mentioned that although it is not advertised they do offer a 7.5 inch lift. He explained that it creates steering issues which can only be solved with parts that they don't provide. Do any of you have this lift and/or know how to sove the steering issues?
Thanks

I have the 7.5" kit and have been running stock style steering for a month. The drag link angle is a little steep for me, but as far as the steering is, seems to work fine for me.

I did order a ballistic fab setup to take place of my stock one.

There's a reason they don't advertise the 7.5" lift. It is really too much lift for the majority of XJ's. It creates way to high of a center of gravity for most purposes except mall crawling.

There's a reason they don't advertise the 7.5" lift. It is really too much lift for the majority of XJ's. It creates way to high of a center of gravity for most purposes except mall crawling.

That is what I thought but somebody told me that with the 5.5 I would stuff 35s into the wheel wells too hard. I do plan on cutting however.

That is what I thought but somebody told me that with the 5.5 I would stuff 35s into the wheel wells too hard. I do plan on cutting however.

You can run 35's with 5.5", but you have to trim and bumpstop it.

I love my 7.5" kit, have no problem on highway at all. Plus I have room if I want to upgrade to full width's, I can run 36's or 37's.

You can run 35's on 4.5" or 3". Heck you can run 37's or 2". Just a matter of bumpstopping and cutting. 7.5" is way too tall for an xj rock crawler imo.

I run the 7.5" coil but not their kit. You could use the GC steering knuckle or the teraflex highsteer kit to correct the steering.

My other concern is that I want to run protofab bumpers. My buddy has them on an early bronco and they definately made it sit a bit lower. How do xjs hold up to the extra weight of heavy bumpers and a winch?

If this kit runs as tall as most RE kits do, you're probably gonna be looking at 10" almost. I'm at about 5.5" with cut fenders and could fit 35s easily, 37s with some bumpstopping.

I am only running a RE kit it sits about 5 or 5.5 & i could fit 37's w/o a problem.
7.5 is way to big.

I run 35's on the RE 4.5 (with small coil spacers up front). Bump stopped and trimmed and it works great.

Winch and bumper up front doesn't seem to effect it much at all.

I have been installing Rubicon Express lift's for almost 8 years now. I work at one of the 4Wheel Parts stores in Ga. If you order one of their kits the rear of the jeep will always sit high in the rear, so when I ordered my kit (5.5" longarm) I swaped out the 5.5" coils in the front for the 7.5" coils. It set nice and level. I did run into steering problems. I found that the pittman arm did not have enough drop in it, so I ordered a Skyjacker pittman arm that they sell with their 8" rock ready kit. It got me bye for awhile. I know run the teraflex steering and it works great. I am running 35's on it now but have had 37's on it at one time. It all depends on how much you want to trim. Here are some pics of it though it's different stages.

15x8 wheels 2.5 back spacing 35 BFG's & Bushwackers

offroad035.jpg

16x8 moabs (no wheel spacers) 35" BFG, Pre Bushwackers
offroad.jpg

17x8 Pro Comp alloys 4.5bs, 37 Pro Comp Mt's, more trimming.
JEEP003.jpg

If this kit runs as tall as most RE kits do, you're probably gonna be looking at 10" almost. I'm at about 5.5" with cut fenders and could fit 35s easily, 37s with some bumpstopping.

not true. i have 7.5 re lift and im at 6.5 tops. i also have a bumper and winch and my cargo space loaded

Last edited:
Guess they either made yours short or run these closer to advertised height. I have 5.5" coils up front with 3.5" leafs and a 1" shackle and it sits pretty level. If anything the 3.5" leaves with 1" shackle might sit just a touch higher than the front.

IMO at 7.5" full width axles would be a consideration to help regain some stability lost from the increased height also the heavier axles will help lower your center of gravity, afford you more gearing options and will handle the added stress from the larger tires. At that height it will most likely be illegal in just about every state already so going full width is not a big deal anymore.

Thanks

I have this lift. But I also have a Tereflex high steer. They are right, you need to put a high steer on if you are going to use this much lift or you will exceed the range of motion of the tie rod ends on the steering and track bar.

RE 5.5" plus 1" spacer and a little more lift in the rear, about 6.25" total lift. 35's. 7" uptravel, 5" downtravel, WJ conversion for the steering.

IMG_0158%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_0160%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_0168%20(Medium).jpg

I think RE 5.5" and 35's is about the most balanced bolt together setup you'll put under an XJ.

"too hard"?

i have run 37's on a 3" and loved it. set up the suspension properly and you will be good to go.

and since were posting pics

large 36's on just under a 3"
9131_139806049718_789279718_2367817_2957593_n.jpg

thurdy-fives on a 4"
8124_140012229020_709829020_2689993_7342775_n.jpg

Back