• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scout 44 hosing for XJ?

tsegeela

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know if a Dana 44 housing out of a Scout could be used to repair a XJ Dana 44?

I just want to have the axle tubes switched out since my pumpkin is shot.

If it can be done where do you go to get it done?

Also found a front Dana 44 from an older style Cherokee. Could it be done with that instead?

Last edited:
tsegeela said:
Anybody know if a Dana 44 housing out of a Scout could be used to repair a XJ Dana 44?

I just want to have the axle tubes switched out since my pumpkin is shot.

If it can be done where do you go to get it done?

Also found a front Dana 44 from an older style Cherokee. Could it be done with that instead?
IIRC the shaft lengths are completely different. The Scout axle is ~58" wide and the XJ axle is ~60" wide. Also, the Scout diff is truly centered so that the axle shafts on each side are the same exact width.

The older Cherokee (FSJ, Grand Wagoneer, etc.) are also the wrong width if you want to interchange parts.

All this said, some have swapped the entire axle from a Scout II or FSJ into an XJ. You can offset the width differences with a set of spacers or changing the hub and brake configuration. I'm working on a Scout II setup now... it's bling though ($$$) you don't want to follow that example. Watch some of the FSJ stuff, there is at least too different widths in those axles. One is narrower than a XJ, the other wider. If you are doing uber mods this is not an issue but that doesn't sound like what you are doing.

A front Dana 44 will be of no use on your rear Dana 44. Well, save for the differential parts themselves that is.

HTH

Root Moose said:
Well, save for the differential parts themselves that is.

HTH

This is what he is asking.

"Anybody know if a Dana 44 housing out of a Scout could be used to repair a XJ Dana 44?"

Yes, Dana44 is Dana44 eccept for a few oddball ones like the Grand Cherokee and corvette.As long as its low pinion you can retube it and use the center section.

You could have someone like currie or dutchman do it but it would probably be cheaper to get a used housing.

OlyWa

Ooops, missed the part where he was suggesting re-tubing. I take housing to mean backing plate flange to flange normally.

Yeah, what he said, get a new housing. Re-tubing is too much a PITA to be worth the hassle.

Back