• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed glass windshield pics

Built2Flex

NAXJA Forum User
SNC01141.jpg

Glass cost $130. (Margard 10 .236") Other that a tight fit there is no seal. Yes, I just drilled into the frame. During the summer I intend on just running a sun visor and wind deflector a'la Jeepspeed, which will use the same holes. Thanks for your kind comment friend.

I assume this is a racing setup. Looks pretty cool though. Is light weight the objective with that?

Not that I'm racing, lol. Yes, its main purpose was to eliminate weight and the added feature of being able to remove it during the hot Alabama summers.
Thanks friend.

what is it made of? did you have to shape it?

Yes sir, I had to use the typical template to get the desired shape. Then a jigsaw to trim it down. Then a grinder to get then exact fit. I drilled the holes 5/16" while I'm using 1/4" bolts to give the "glass" extra room to flex.

The material is Margard 10 about 1/4" thick (.236") But someone beat me to that. lol

yeah yeah i was thinking that was lexan i must have just Cursed over it when i read it. i was thinking about doing this to my fixed glass. did not consider the windshield.

It may be of concern to some of you on how to curve/ bend the glass to properly fit the frame.

I started by removing the windshield and covering it with posterboard for a template. Then putting the posterboard onto the windshield frame and increasing all sides (with more posterboard) until it was 1/8" from contacting the frame itself. This was to insure all mounting hardware had adequate room from the edge of the speedglass. I then transferred that template to the Margard and trimmed it with a jigsaw. After fitting it a couple of times I noticed it had to be grinded down to accommodate for the imperfections of the frame.

Then I drilled the holes 5/16" for the 1/4" bolts (to give extra room for flex) and began to mount it. Starting in the middle I worked my way out to the ends. I covered a 2x4 (which was the length of the windshield, top to bottom) with carpet to protect the "glass" and clamped it down to the frame. Some of the holes were difficult to mark from the inside, so I used spray paint to mark them. Removed the "glass" once again to drill those holes and re-mount. The actual bending of the "glass" was not difficult, in fact no stress cracks exist after doing it. I hope this helps. Take your time. It's all about taking your time. Please FEEL FREE to ask any questions, none are stupid.

the material sounds thin does it give at all with wind pressure?

Considering most use 1/8" and this is slightly more than 1/4" I'm not sure "thin" would be the word. Most of the other buggy owners thought it looked thick.

As for giving in the wind, the material is at such bend in the frame, even the center barely gives at all. If that makes any sense. Although I have yet to run it with it installed.

Considering most use 1/8" and this is slightly more than 1/4" I'm not sure "thin" would be the word. Most of the other buggy owners thought it looked thick.

As for giving in the wind, the material is at such bend in the frame, even the center barely gives at all. If that makes any sense. Although I have yet to run it with it installed.

Just a question, but isnt .236 slightly less than 1/4" or .25

Is this still a road rig or is it just a woods runner? It looks cool none the less. Maybe some ano'd button head or socket head hex head's would clean it up and make it look good. Off topic but could you PM me or post pictures of the plate you put down where the wipers used to be? I'd like to do something along those lines but still use my wipers and washer nozzles.

Is this still a road rig or is it just a woods runner? It looks cool none the less. Maybe some ano'd button head or socket head hex head's would clean it up and make it look good. Off topic but could you PM me or post pictures of the plate you put down where the wipers used to be? I'd like to do something along those lines but still use my wipers and washer nozzles.

I use stainless steel caphead bolts on other applications. Here I'm trying to continue the theme I did on the cowl and many other pieces (not shown). But I hear what your saying.

Yes, occasionally I drive it on the road, but I have other transportation, so it will remain on the trail for now. Thanks for the compliment!

PM sent.

Back