• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Radiator

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
I converted my 88 XJ cooling system to the late model type 6 years ago and have a 1992 XJ 3 row radiator in it now. Its developed a leak and I want to replace it befor I have REAL problems.

Do I really need a 3 row unit?

Or would a 2 on 1 row be OK. I live in Texas.

havent had any issues with the conversion.

Depends on how much you want to spend, CSF makes one, radiatorbarn.com might be a good place to start. I think a 2 row is fine, the passages are bigger than the 3 row. I just did mine this summer with a copper/brass generic replacement that cost me $100 or so.
As far as open vs closed systems are concerned, neither is better than the other, the only problem area is the surge tank, replace it with a good aluminum one that takes a normal pressure cap and you are golden. I don't like plastics in my cooling system other than an overflow.

CSF three row that I like is/was $175.00 plus shipping at DPG.

Here in the California San Joaquin Valley with 110 degree temps and A/C, I like my CSF.

Just my $0.02

Update. THe radiator is still leaking. I've had it since 2003 but it came wioth a life time warranty. I contacted the outfit I bought it from and stopped by their storefront to show them the leak. THey agreed that it was leaking and said they'ld exchange it BUT they mentioned that the seam between the head and coils showed signs of over pressure as the seam line was slightly bowed. Looked pretty straight to me but what the heck do I know Im just a 30 year aircraft mechanic.

Question I need to ask is what would cause overpressure? I assume it would be the cap. Any idea what the pressure should be?

The pressure relief point is somewhere between 12 ~ 16 psi, usually marked on the radiator cap.

Back