• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring bolt

1bigjeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
broke off a bolt into the body/frame when removing a front leaf spring bolt (on the passenger side rear)
Any tips on how to get it out????

ONly about a half inch of threads showing! And about an inch still screwed in. I got the leaf off.

when i lifted my heep i broke the same bolt off on the pass side with 1/8" of the bolt still in the spring bushing. i took a different approach to what most people do. i drilled through most of the diameter of the bolt. then i took a Dremel with a small boring bit and cut the remainder of the bolt down like pie slices to the point where i could just see a bit of the rust line on the threads- not damaging the threads but enough to just know that the cut is barley nicking them. then i took a cold chisel and broke the slices removing them one at a time until i had it all out. i doubt this approach would work every time or for everyone but it worked for me.

most people try drilling the bolt out and using an easy out, or drilling it with a left handed drill bit, drilling and tapping a larger size etc...

when i lifted my heep i broke the same bolt off on the pass side with 1/8" of the bolt still in the spring bushing. i took a different approach to what most people do. i drilled through most of the diameter of the bolt. then i took a Dremel with a small boring bit and cut the remainder of the bolt down like pie slices to the point where i could just see a bit of the rust line on the threads- not damaging the threads but enough to just know that the cut is barley nicking them. then i took a cold chisel and broke the slices removing them one at a time until i had it all out. i doubt this approach would work every time or for everyone but it worked for me.
I like it. I'd definitely try this if I broke a bolt, fortunately I did not.

When I did my lift I fully expected to break every bolt I touched so I bought all new hardware first. Still have a couple of the leaf/shackle nuts sitting around because my weldnuts were fine and I didn't need to replace them.

Back