• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i have a problem...

skylinergtr

NAXJA Forum User
white changing the transmission fluid today and going around inspected my new to me 1991 xj 2dr 4x4 i noticed this. When the brakes are applied to come to a stop there is a slight clunking noise. This will probably be the problem but either or its definitely not good. How do i go ahead of fixing this with minimal cost? I dont know exactly what the part is? it is universal joint?

The difference

Right side:

rightside.jpg

left side:

leftside.jpg

shit! you need new u-joint and axle stub for that side, if the inner is ok.

You need the complete axle assembly, inner and outer shafts as well as the u-joint. Those yokes are trash.

1991 XJ.... if those unit bearing hubs have never been out, you'll have some "fun" getting them loose. There's a bunch of threads about it here, the short story is that you'll loosen the 3 hub bolts, and use a socket extension and the power steering to gently ease them out.

And inner axle seals, from the looks of it.

No matter what do NOT remove that stub shaft from the wheel bearing and drive on it! The stub and the big nut in the middle of the hub hold the wheel bearing halves together.

Just a heads up.

thanks for the reply's guys. Whats the least i can do to get this not to be a headache? new u-joint, and axle stub? what is the part where it broke? So far i've been driving with it and its okay. Is there any precautions to take? This is my winter car and i dont want to spend too much money on it.

I'd quit driving on it unless you feel lucky. If that little broken chunk comes off the ujoint can go off center. This can result in the axle shaft ends jamming on each other while rotating. The ball joints end up being the loser in this game and off goes the outer knuckle along with the wheel!

You can probably pick the entire inner shaft, U-joint, outer shaft, and hub/unit bearing assembly up for less than $75 at a junkyard. I'd do that - and the benefit there is you get to practice taking the blasted thing out without doing any damage to your vehicle.

that should work assuming the inside of the hub isnt damaged

Back