• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine wont start!! HELP

slwmotiontracers

NAXJA Forum User
okay i put a new cam, lifters, pushrods timing set, all comp cams all aftermarket, new valve springs everything, do I have to advance the timing? it wont start it turns over and it really wants to start its so close but it wont.

im not 180 out either i made sure of that... a mechanic told me to just move my distributor a little bit it might need advanced.

I'm pretty sure you can't really advance the timing on a 4.0 very easily... speaking of which, what engine/year?

Did you make sure you got the CPS properly installed and connected up? Check for spark?

you can't advance the timing with the distributor on a 4.0 without modifying it. The timing is controlled by the PCM.

double check the firing order, and make sure you've got them all right. make sure the rotor is pointing to the right wire when #1 is at TDC.

Sounds like you might be off a tooth or two. Try re-indexing the distributor.

Posting here was correct, re-posting in Mod Tech too not so good.

everything is lined up.. TDC rotor is pointing at #1 spark plug... I removed my a/c which gives me two extra wires just hanging.... but i have 3 wires hanging that could be the issue except i dont know where it goes ive looked everywere

moving the distributor a tooth will help?

everything is lined up.. TDC rotor is pointing at #1 spark plug... I removed my a/c which gives me two extra wires just hanging.... but i have 3 wires hanging that could be the issue except i dont know where it goes ive looked everywere

moving the distributor a tooth will help?

Your first post says it is trying to run. Yes or no? If it is trying to run, then try moving the distributor a tooth, one at a time.

Back