• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loses power for a couple seconds

SJRTX

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes, but only when the jeep is cold after sitting for a while, it loses power shortly after taking off. No hard starts, and it runs smooth. Ill crank it up, and drive about 100ft each time, and suddenly power takes a dive. Giving it more gas while this is happening doesnt really do anything. Letting my foot off the gas, and getting back in it seems to wake it up fine. After it does it, thats it-it wont do it anymore. I could drive it for hours and it wouldnt do it. And it doesnt do this on every cold start, just about 30-40% of them, but it only happens when cold. And when I say cold, I mean the motor hasnt run in a couple hours or more.

Any Suggestions?

What year XJ? Check all your grounds, motor to chasis, battery to motor, I have one I put in battery to chassis, The next thing is a long shot but its obviously a short that once it gets warm it doesn't do it any more, Clean the connection on your CPS( the one in the engine compartment) and check to see that the CPS wire has no burns in it from the motor. I had a burn in my CPS wire that would fix itself as it got warm. Good Luck,

Sorry about that, its a 1996 4.0L with 165k miles. I have run fuel system cleaner through it recently, it made no difference.

BTW-CPS? my mind is drawing a blank, help me out here.

Last edited:
I just had a similar issue, and it was the crank position sensor (CPS). $50-60 bucks, and about a half-hour job start to finish. Less, if the bolts were easier to reach.

Oh ok, yeah, I just replaced the crank position sensor a couple months ago with a Bosche unit. The problem was there before and after the new crank position sensor.

Could a bad MAP be causing this?

Back