• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 wheel drive question

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been answered but i cant find it.

can i change out the vacuum ball on a 90 xj? i want it to be a manual type of pull system because i dont trust the vacuum ball for some reason. call me old fashion but i want it to pull and it works. Can you please let me know what my options are.

If you remove the vacuum reservoir you will loose your other vacuum accessories whenever you are accelerating or the engine is under a load--things like the heater switching to defrost, losing cruise control. You can relocate the vacuum reservoir from behind the bumper into the engine bay and get rid of about 5' of problematic vacuum line. I mounted mine under the pressure bottle on the firewall.

You can replace the right-side two piece axle with a single piece axle, or permanently lock the D30 CAD, or you can purchase a Posi-Lok, or you can make your own cable setup.

As I have an Aussie Locker in the front, I like my Posi-Lok.

You can get the passenger's side axle from a non-disco D30, and just make a block-off plate from some scrap metal.

I ran my D30 CAD locked for a while (the vacuum motor was bad) and it was fine. When I installed the Aussie Locker I wanted the ability to disengage the axle, so I bought the Posi-Lok.

Post 91 XJs with the NP231 didn't have the D30 CAD, I guess Jeep figured whatever mpg or wear issues running "engaged" didn't justify the cost and problems of the disconnect feature.

I guess I would just lock it and run it, maybe pickup a spare one-piece axle and make a block-off plate and keep them in the "parts bin" if it ever breaks. JP Magazine did an article on locking the D30 CAD using a 1/4" bolt and nut. I just took a shock bolt sleeve, cut it off to the correct length ( a little touch up with a grinder to get it right), then shoved the collar over to lock the axle. I then slid the sleeve over the shift rod to keep it in the locked position and reinstalled the two "E" clips. Seemed more substantial than drilling and using a bolt.

Here is a link to the JP Magazine article: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...154_0904_dana_30_vacume_disconnect/index.html

Back