• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non ABS Axle Swap To ABS XJ

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I searched, after reading about 30 threads that had nothing to do with my question, I'm going to ask it directly. I'm considering buying a stock '98 XJ and swapping over the good stuff from my wrecked '91. IIRC the '98 has ABS brakes, the axles in my '91 do not. What is involved in making the '98 not throw codes for the ABS if I swap the non ABS axles in? Is there a fuse or computer reset that will prevent the code from being thrown in this scenario?

Thanks,

Doug

I believe you pull some fuses and relays on a 98 and it stops caring.

EDIT: I know if you try to do this with old Bendix ABS it'll be BAD, but that ended in 90 or 91, pretty sure it was 90.

I searched, after reading about 30 threads that had nothing to do with my question, I'm going to ask it directly. I'm considering buying a stock '98 XJ and swapping over the good stuff from my wrecked '91. IIRC the '98 has ABS brakes, the axles in my '91 do not. What is involved in making the '98 not throw codes for the ABS if I swap the non ABS axles in? Is there a fuse or computer reset that will prevent the code from being thrown in this scenario?

Thanks,

Doug

See if John can machine the tone rings to fit your 44 shafts then swap the ABS front shafts into your geared axle.

I just lifted my brothers 94 With abs and we didnt want to bother extending tin abs lines so we just cut them. the abs light stayed on which was just an annoyance so we pulled the fuse. The problem is its the same fuse for the speedo. put it back in and took out the indicator light. we really didnt worry about throwing error codes and his jeep as worked great for the past two months. It is also his daily driver, towed a trailer back from seattle the other day with zero problems.

See if John can machine the tone rings to fit your 44 shafts then swap the ABS front shafts into your geared axle.

Does this work? Have you seen or heard of it being done?

I'll give John a call at some point if no-one here knows. I'm sure someone here has done it and made it work.

There was a thread at one point in the last couple years, I think they machines D35 ton rings to fit over D44 shafts. I'll try and find it.

I bet with a little work you could make it work with a disc swap.

i just pulled the ABS fuse from the PDC under the hood.
my Cherokee is a 97.
i accidentally took a chunk out of one of my tone rings changing a U joint.
no problems with the ABS after pulling that fuse, though.

I did a D44 swap to replace my ABS D35. I cut the wires and pulled out the fuse for the light in the dash. Problem solved

I believe you pull some fuses and relays on a 98 and it stops caring.

EDIT: I know if you try to do this with old Bendix ABS it'll be BAD, but that ended in 90 or 91, pretty sure it was 90.
'91 is the last year for the Bendix ABS system. I have it in my Briarwood.

For your '98, just pull the fuse and ABS light relay in the PDC if you don't want ABS anymore.

Back