• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam & Valves

Aztazmam

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for some help. I have 96 which I'm doing some work on; header, 99 intake, 505cam, lifters & valves - among a whole new cooling system. I've never pulled a head and want to know if anyone has a good write up. Do I have to disassemble the valve train to pull the head? I'm going to have oversized valves installed and the head ported. I'm hoping to be able to put the whole assembly on as one piece but want to know if I have to adjust lash etc. Any help is appreciated.

larger valves are generally a waste of time and money unless you have a big stroker motor it sits on. All the time and work you have done so far would have been better off spent on a stroker. I don't think you'll gain much over stock with that set up.

Parakeet

pushrods and rockers do have to be removed but its very easy to do. they are hydraulic lifters so no valve lash adjustment is necessary. ive done it before and its pretty straight forward but definitely pick up a chiltons manual or something to help walk you thru it and get the torque sequences.

Drain coolant, remove two hoses going to t-stat housing, remove the throttle body linkages from tb and remove bracket and fold over to pass side, remove the valve cover hoses, remove the valve cover, remove the rocker bolts, keep rocker pairs w/ bridge and bolt together wherever you place them, keep pushrods in order and orientation, undo the head bolts in a spiral pattern starting from the outer two (two on front, two on rear, inner two on front, inner two on rear, etc)working to the middle. Depending on what 96 you have, be careful not to break the temp sensor on the rear. Looks like I'll be installing a 505 roller cam in the near future.
PC080027.JPG

Back