• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift problems RE & TNT

BigBearXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently installed a new lift, I went from RE 3.5 to RE & TNT 6.25 lift.
I have two concerns, the first is the coil looks strange. The second item is the steering is hanging up on sway bar mount. I think I just need to reduce the angle with a drop pitman.

4182888575_1153b3e23a.jpg

4183650882_30cc931128.jpg

4183651206_5d76457759.jpg

Any help would be great...Thanks

Last edited:
Coil might be from excessive caster adjustment. I would check the caster and pinion angle, see what it is, and go from there.

As far as the steering goes, that usually happens when you start lifting high. You can either get extened sway bar mounts and weld them on, or cut the mounts off and run no sway bar. I have the same problem with my RE 7.5" kit, so I'm gonna order some extended sway bar mounts tomorrow.

im thinking with 6.25" of lift if you havent done a drop pitman arm your pretty much long overdue for one... and as for the coils... it seems to be a trend i see that big lifts have coils like that, its like the coils are too long and start to collapse but idk though this is just an assumption of mine

Thanks, did you install a new drop pitman on your 7.5" lift?

Yes, it was included in my lift kit.

im thinking with 6.25" of lift if you havent done a drop pitman arm your pretty much long overdue for one... and as for the coils... it seems to be a trend i see that big lifts have coils like that, its like the coils are too long and start to collapse but idk though this is just an assumption of mine

True also.

When you start getting that high of a lift, your gonna want as much caster as you can get in the front end, without causing driveline vibes. So the coils are gonna tend to bow forward like that.

reduce the length on the upper arms, the axle is tilted forward.

If your front axle is just hanging, then the springs look OK. If it is supported, the springs bow out because your upper links are too long. But you may have to live with it to not get vibes from the front drive shaft.

Edit: the steering issue is common. Find somewhere else to mount the sway bar mounts.

i wasnt intending to be serious... it was meant as a joke hence the " :twak: " like... you'd hit em in the head with a stick if he thought about putting a spring clamp on it to compress the coil straight

Yeah I already tried the spring clamp idea, NOT! :doh:

It's also looking like the lowers are too short.

Assuming you shorten the uppers as suggested (which needs to be done, btw) ... you should notice the lower bumpstops are still behind the upper ones. Yes, the axle travels in an arc -- but I think it's still a touch too far back.

Joe

There is another option to those springs. As mentioned, you can shorten the uppers to pull the angle of the axle where you need it, but you risk getting undesirable caster and/or driveline vibes. The wierd looking spring is easier to live with than either of those. So, if you find the caster or front DS don't like the adjustment needed for a straight spring, then leave them where they are, and angle your platform a little. I did this with my D44 swap, because the truss was welded a bit futher forward than intended, and my spring looked exactly like that. I got some steel wedges and welded them to the platforms, and they are nice and straight now. :)
This might be a bit of work, as you are not working with a nice flat surface on the D30 like I was, but still something to consider. Keep in mind, you might also net an extra 3/4" or so of front lift, depending on the wedge used.

Back