• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing alternator wiring from plug to wires

Dobbs

NAXJA Forum User
Hello i have a 92 4.0L with a 90 AMP going to upgrade the alternator looked at the 136 AMP on ebay and craigs list seen a 160 AMP .First thing is there any diff in case size for the 136 and 160 figg if they are close to the same price mite as well go with 160AMP SEC thing I have seen some where were the diff in alternator after 2000 were older ones had 2 wires and newer ones had a plug.Some where I read that the back can be changed from the plug type to the two wire type and the battery post set diff but if the back can be changed this may beable to be changed too.Have done search but cant find the place that I read it at.

You can change the wiring of your jeep from the block style to the plug in style just match the color of the wires when splicing. The 136A alt has mounting specs closer than the 160A as it's alot bigger and the clocking of the bolt holes is way different and requires alot of modifications. Another thing you will need to do when upgrading the alt is also upgrade the wiring for the charging and power circuit as the stock wiring wouldn't be able to handle the additional power.

Back