• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought a almost junked XJ

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
I bought this as I was planning to strip it for spare parts for my toy XJ. The XJ originally was sold as no title but when I came to get it the guy found the title. The jeep dont look as bad, just need some TLC then it will be a good beater on the cheap..

1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, AW4, NP-231, D30/C8.25 no optionals except A/C

index.php

the bad..

-the fuel regulator on front of the fuel rail leaks like mad
-battery dead
-a good sized front right fender bender
-needs oil change in the engine and trans BAD
-radio unit FUBAR
-no exhaust pipe at back of the muffler

the good...

-engine runs beautifully even with fuel leak
-4x4 works
-tires still have lot of life left
-body's solid in most part (rotted floor panels but otherwise great condition for its age)
-trans seem to be working OK
-brakes works.

I will want to do for sure if I end up driving it
-replace the front right fender so i can have turn signals back in there
-change all oil/filter in the drivetrain (axles, engine, trans, t-case, possible power steer fluid, coolant flush.
-vaccum craps out of the interior
-steering wheel cover as the leather cover coming undo
-repair the flat front tires
-replace the leaky regulator
-install new tailpipe
-recharge and test the battery, replace if its bad

what I am asking... I want to see what you'all would check on the XJ before put any more money in it to make it more street worthy? I am almost uncertain as the XJs are so reliable even being heavily neglected

you can get o rings for the regulator!

pics?

and congrats

On the steering wheel. I had good luck finding a ZJ leather steering wheel of the same vintage. There is no clockspring on the 95-96, so it was a matter of swapping the plastics out, and some trimming. May be worthwhile with all the C4C cars in the yard lately.

any more input??

I will look at it deeper this week and find out more about its condition...

do the pic work? it worked but now its just red X for me.

On the steering wheel. I had good luck finding a ZJ leather steering wheel of the same vintage. There is no clockspring on the 95-96, so it was a matter of swapping the plastics out, and some trimming. May be worthwhile with all the C4C cars in the yard lately.
There will be a clockspring if it has cruise and/or a horn (not sure on that one.) You are probably thinking of 91-93, they changed the wheel for 94-96.

My '95 and '96 have clocksprings, but then they have cruise. I think any wheel with a bag will have one.
Cruise on 94-96 is a self contained module in the steering wheel, no wiring as far as I can tell... except maybe a single wire for power. I know they have the sensor and all control stuff inside the airbag module. You're 100% right on the cruise though.

OP - check motor mounts, check radiator, check brake lines and tranny cooler lines for heavy rust and replace as needed (having either of those blow up on you SUCKS!), ps you can get a new fender for $25 or $50 at most pull-a-parts. Get yourself one with matched paint from a close model year and you won't even have to paint the sucker, just be careful with the two threaded studs on the front end that connect to the header panel, those LOVE to snap off. PB-blaster them, tap them a few times, maybe heat them up if you can do so without lighting the header panel on fire, then back them off very carefully, retightening 1/4 turn whenever they feel like they are binding up.

good to know. i believe this XJ dont have CC but my trail-only XJ have CC so i might will just swap it over so i have CC on a DD. Who use CC on trails? LOL

I guess JeepSpeed/prerunner guys could try to :dunno:

Yeah, I'd do that. I'm assuming it's the 95 in your username? Should be a simple swap :D

yeah, I have 2 1995 XJ, so anything should swap over LOL

My '96 wheel actually has a four conductor connector that plugs into the cruise circuit board inside the middle of the wheel. I have a '98 ZJ wheel in it now, spliced to two of the four wires, and the cruise and horn work fine. The only bad side is that I don't have a bag in the wheel right now, as the original 'mechanical' bag does not physically fit into the ZJ bag cover. Don't tell anyone! I wish it was like the <94 Saginaw column with the cruise on the blinker stalk, then I could put an aftermarket wheel in it, like my '92.

Just tinkered with this after I replaced the o-ring on the regulator then I can test drive the XJ and found...

-the A/C WORKS!!!!!!
-both front wheel u-joints' loose
-all driveshaft u-joints' good
-e-brake works good
-trans shifts great
-powerful
-t-case work in 2h,4h,n,4l, shifts smoothly
-brake lines on the framerail are rusty, need to be replace sometime soon, but no leak yet. other brake lines looks fine.
-loose tie-rod end on the drag link on the knuckle end (will swap it out with my trail XJ and find a upgrade on the trail XJ to replace the missing drag link LOL)
-ball joints' good
-wheel bearings good
-no leak anywhere on the axles
-exhaust manifold completely shot, the down pipe's about to fall out WITH the manifold on it!
-driver side engine mount loose
-5 missing lug studs and nuts in the front axle

the plan for now...

-oil change on both axles
-oil change in t-case
-drain/fill the trans (will keep drain/fill til the fluid stay clean and red then change the filter)
-change oil/filter in the engine
-coolant flush and get rid of the valve on the heater core hoses
-replace the u-joints in the front axle
-swap the drag link
-replace the exhaust manifold then its off to the muffler shop to get all exhaust components welded in along a flex tube to prevent another manifold kill
-fix the lug studs in the front axle
-replace driver side engine mount
-some more gas in the tank then hit the road!

one thing stumped on me that it dont have any power to roast the tires (in 2hi) even when its wet and stand still (brake applied) with stock tires but i can roast the 34" swampers on my trail rig all day long on dry pavement.... the 8.25" axle have stronger brakes than teh D-35?

Last edited:
Believe the 8.25 and d35 have exactly the same brake hardware, actually. I could be wrong.

Fix those brake lines now, not later!!!1!!!1!!!1

(that lesson cost me a thousand dollars, learn from my mistake)

That's pretty amazing about the AC btw - I didn't know AC in XJs was supposed to work :spin1:

Back