• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Minor trouble shifting OUT of 4wd

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Like it says, I've never had a problem before but recently have been having trouble shifting OUT of 4hi back to 2hi. 93 auto, 231 tcase. I've so far been able to get it back into 2wd but it takes some time. I seem to have no problem shifting into 4wd, and even tried 4lo just to be sure, and yes no problem. The shift light turns on and off like normal but with the snow up here it's pretty easy to tell if I'm still in 4hi or not. Is this a simple linkage issue, I tried searching but couldn't hit the right word combo. Thanks for the help.

Sometimes the small plastic bushings in the shift forks wear out, you could start by replacing those and see if it makes a difference. You could test it by getting underneath and tap the shift fork manually, and see if it pops right into 2wd.

check the linkage and also the bushings in it. if you have recently raised or lowered the TC (like replace the trans mount etc) it may have pulled on the linkage a little. there is some adjustment in one of the links- check and adjust as needed. when i did my SYE i ended up butchering the bushing on the bracket with the pivot pin. a replacement was a few bucks at the stealership.

also, my heep doesnt like to come out of 4lo/4hi under any kind of load. i have to be going straight and off the throttle for the tc to disengage.

First suspect for trouble getting out of 4WD is mismatched tire diameters causing driveline binding. Check inflation pressures, and if the tires are wearing, rotate them.

In the meantime, you can usually get out of 4WD quickly by stopping and reversing.

Sometimes the small plastic bushings in the shift forks wear out, you could start by replacing those and see if it makes a difference. You could test it by getting underneath and tap the shift fork manually, and see if it pops right into 2wd.

goatman are you referring to the plastic bushings on the forks INSIDE the transfer case, hoping I dont have to crack the case.
Thanks for the responses all

Thats actually what worked Matthew, thats good to know, no way I'm getting under there this time of year unless I have to. I will check the pressure, haven't done that for a while.

first thing id also say, it may be binding (front/rear drive shaft arent wanting to turn at same speed) so the t-case is under a bind so needs a bit extra force to pop out of the 4x4... also always be moving to change 4x4 selections

Just thought I'd let you all know, finally drove the jeep home tonight after checking the tire pressures, they were all relatively close but quite low, 10 psi from what I like to keep them at, haven't checked them since the cold weather so they were quite low. So on the way home tonight I tried again and works like a charm. Thanks all and thanks NAXJA once again for help with a cost saving thread.

For every 10 degrees Fahrenheit change in the outside temperature, the tires’ air pressure will change by about 1 pound per square inch (psi). This falls with colder temperatures and rises with higher temperatures.

Tire pressure is often ignored and as we get into cold weather, that makes for lots of underinflated tires on the road.

Back