• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a pequliar problem.

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I know i probably butchered that spelling, but oh well.

Heres my problem. on my 1988 MJ, no matter what speed, no matter how hard i turn, how much weight is in the truck, or what tires are on it, I get a grinding/whining/growling noise from the drivers side of the front axle. Its a dana 30 from a 96 cherokee.

What are some causes?

The wheel bearing is nice and tight, it doesn't wobble, and the ball joints are good. that axle shaft u joint is good too.

Heres my problem. on my 1988 MJ, no matter what speed, no matter how hard i turn, how much weight is in the truck, or what tires are on it, I get a grinding/whining/growling noise from the drivers side of the front axle. Its a dana 30 from a 96 cherokee.

What are some causes?

The wheel bearing is nice and tight, it doesn't wobble, and the ball joints are good. that axle shaft u joint is good too.

Well that covers just about every suspension piece... Maybe you should recheck those?

What are some causes?

I would bet its the Hub assembly. It may look ok on the outside but its hard telling what is going on inside of it.

Well that covers just about every suspension piece... Maybe you should recheck those?

Uhhh, Ian........ What suspension peices did he mention? :D

Sounds like a wheel bearing/unit bearing. It will make noise long before it gets loose. If you let it go long enough to get loose you're in trouble.

Back