• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft?

Brett J

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering because i still have a horrible noise in the rear, if my driveshaft was out of balance or bent, would there be a noise coming from the rear of the car? Also, if i had a bad tranny mount wuold you hear this in the rear of the car or more the front?

well the noise comes when i get on and off the gas. (worse when i get off) it seems to be a clunking noise like something is smacking together. there is like no play in the driveshaft and we just replaced the rear axle because we thought the pinion bearing was shot creating alot of backlash. We replaced it with one at the junkyard in pretty good shape.

The slip yoke is probably slamming against the bearings in the transfer case. The correct fix is to replace the saggy springs to get the original height back, which will return the hypotenuse to the correct length. Alternatively you could buy a slightly shorter driveshaft. You might also be able to alleviate some of the problem by lubricating the slip yoke with a heavy grease.

hmmm sounds like the u-joint at the diff to me. When mine went it did the same thing and had barely any driveshaft movement. But when I really looked at it I could tell it was bad. Are the u-bolts good and tight?

yes sir, they are tight and the noise happens less and not so severe however its still there and doesnt sound good at all.

ehall, i have a 2 to 3 inch coil spacers in fron and extended shackles in the rear. Would your issue still be relevent?

Back