• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Few Questions About This D44.

Monkey55

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I have a few questions about this D44.

1) I'm pretty sure it's a limited slip. Can anyone confirm it? (See pics blow)

2) How do I know if it's working right? When I spin the yoke, both sides spin too. I don't know how to test a limited slip.

3) If it's not working right, how easy would it be to convert it to an open diff?

4) How do I figure out the gear ratio? Count the teeth??? Count the rotations??

Thanks,
E

4176851999_7041e3360b.jpg

4176852521_92f6c91d2c.jpg

Looks like as LS to me.
A Dana 44 should have the ring gear tooth count and pinion gear tooth count stamped on the ring gear. Divide the larger by the smaller for the ratio.

Looks like as LS to me.
A Dana 44 should have the ring gear tooth count and pinion gear tooth count stamped on the ring gear. Divide the larger by the smaller for the ratio.

Thanks..

The last two numbers are 46 13.............. It comes to 3.538....... So, 3.55's. Am I looking at the right numbers.

4177675872_222e3350c8.jpg

E

That looks right to me.

Thanks Man!!! :thumbup:

Anyone else for the other questions??

2) How do I know if it's working right? When I spin the yoke, both sides spin too. I don't know how to test a limited slip.

3) If it's not working right, how easy would it be to convert it to an open diff?

E

Last edited:
If it's not working right, it will become an open diff all on its own! lol

If you turn one hub, the opposite one should turn in the same direction.

If it's not working right, it will become an open diff all on its own! lol

If you turn one hub, the opposite one should turn in the same direction.

Ok. The opposite hub does turn in the same direction.. But so does the yoke. Is that normal??

I just want to make sure that when I install it, it's not all jacked up.

Thanks,

E

The yoke should turn when you do that, yes. If you look at how the gears work, what you are doing with an LSD equipped differential when you turn one hub (and it's in good shape and the other one turns as well) you are turning the entire carrier, which turns the ring gear and that turns the pinion.

That is the proper function for a Limited Slip. Depending on the mileage, maintenance, and previous use, the LS may or may not function very well or at all when driven. The clutch plates wear out and the LS function decreases until the diff behaves like an open diff.

just dont forget to put in the LS additive when you fill the diff back up

just dont forget to put in the LS additive when you fill the diff back up

I didn't even think about that.. THANKS for the reminder..

As a side note, I know how limited slips and lockers work, but I never knew how to test the LS... lockers, Yes. I have one front and rear.. :D

E

Back