• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another thread about installing a tranny cooler

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
i know this has been beat to death...and ive searched...but i think my set up is a little different.

my tranny used to over heat a lot with 35s on 3:55 gears. i know have 38s on 5:13s but i want to prevent fluid from spewing out the over flow vent, so im gonna throw a cooler on it.

i noticed some people said to plumb the condenser in as part of the system. my AC quit working a lot time ago, and to get better flow through the radiator, i removed the condenser.

so whats the best way of plumbing it now. I looked on jeepinoutfitters write up and he plummed his directly to his tranny. any bad in that?

Just run the lines through the cooler and locate the cooler where it can get cool air. Mine is behind the radiator between the fan and shroud on the driver side. The air is much cooler coming out of the radiator on that side.

I'm probably going to put mine in series with the OEM one built into the radiator, there's a convenient spot on the line with a junction right in front of the harmonic balancer where the OEM aux cooler plugs in. For a cooler I got the tranny cooler out of a grand cherokee, I think it was a WJ but I'm not sure. They're mounted on the passenger side right in front of the AC condenser and you can see if a junker has one through the grille. A junkyard trip should set you up for less than $30, you'll want to get some 3/8" transmission cooler line (rubber) and some 3/8" steel brake/fuel/transmission tubing as well as a handful of hose clamps.

thanks

i think im just gonna go with a B&M. it comes with hoses and hardware and is ready to go.

whats this i always hear about auxiliary coolers though. i know mine didn't come with one nor a few other XJs ive worked with

double post.

Last edited:
I used a 13 row superduty trans cooler designed for a v10. Fits perfect on a 97-01, not sure about earlier models.
If you look for one, just rember:
99-03 7.3 diesel has a 9 row (good fit and easy to find)
v10 models have a 13 row (which fits perfect)
03-07 6.0 has a 31 row (way too big, perfect upgrade for 7.3 diesel owners)
I hooked mine directly to the trany completely bypassing the radiator, but I live in the desert and dont worry about cold weather.
I've been running this set up for 4 years with no problems.

100_3989.jpg

100_3990.jpg

100_3991.jpg

100_3993.jpg

Last edited:
thanks

i think im just gonna go with a B&M. it comes with hoses and hardware and is ready to go.

whats this i always hear about auxiliary coolers though. i know mine didn't come with one nor a few other XJs ive worked with

All of ours here in Australia (all our petrol models are automatic) got the external coolers but they are still not enough for our heat, it is quite common to run a pair of factory coolers or an aftermarket unit in conjunction with the factory unit, I run a long narrow aluminium Land Rover unit mounted in the vent in my factory bullbar for added cooling.....

I have had the idea of installing a high pressure electric water pump and some misting nozzles in front of the radiator hooked up to a switch so that it comes on when the temp gets over 220*. You would need a water reservoir but if you overheat alot you would carry water anyway. Has anybody seen this approach used?

Where did you find that cooler? Dealer? Online?

Any issues with overcooling or overheating the engine now that you have such a large cooler in front of it now?

You can find them on ebay all day long. It may not be as cost effective as other methods, but I already had it.
The cooling system works great, no overheating or overcooling problems.
I tried a hiflow t-stat w/ a hiflow waterneck, didnt like it.
I went back to a factory 195 t-stat with a restrictor similar to gojeep's.
The only heating problem I have is when I run the jeep really hard in the sand dunes.
Even then, it only gets hot after I run 3500-4000 rpm for long periods of time in the sand.

Back