• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any tricks for removing D44 knuckles quietly

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my ball joints on my 44 but I get complaints from the HOA if I make too much noise. Anybody have any tricks for getting the knuckles off quietly.

thanks Phil :doh:

Having a HOA I assume you have a garage. If you are doing it in the garage and are too loud beating a knuckle off you need new neighbors. You could be doing things like cooking meth or urinating in the front yard. Then they'd be happy you were just working on your Jeep. But anyway using a fork will shorten the process and may be slightly quieter...

id say get a BFH....not to give the typical BFH responce, but when i tried to remove them with a standard 3lb sledge it took a lot of beating.

grabbed a 10 lb one...and within 3 wacks it was off

Took me one hit with my 10 lb sledge to get my knuckles off.

If your really worried about 1-5 hits with a large hammer, have someone hold a piece of wood where you are hitting.

If it's like the D30, there's a little ledge on the knuckle. Loose your ball joints, leave nut threaded on so it doesn't fall on the floor. Then take two 3lb or better hammers, set one on the ledge of the knuckle, then smack it with the other hammer, it will pop in 1 or two blows.

I was working @ 7pm when I got the complaint, I didn't buy I'm renting. After my lease is up I will probably move. I'm very anti HOA, but this place was cheap and close to work, my jeep isn't my dd so I'm not crunched for time. I just work on things when I can.

Yeah, pay some local kids to set off fireworks at the other end of the street when you call their cellphone, problem solved :dunno:

Figured out the answer, I used a pitman arm puller on the upper joint, made a pop when it went but was quieter than one or multiple hammer hits.

I feel you on the HOA!!!!!
I own and they complain about the hose in the driveway.
I have a car trailer I park on the street just to piss them off as well as a utility trailer that is sometimes there.
If they complain I let it there for a month. As far as noise I try to keep it down but they don't say much anymore.
When they pay my mortgage then I will abide by the HOA.
Good luck,
Stukboy

go to your neighbors and ask them if the rag you are carrying smells like ether...

with his luck his neighbors would be mormon

Tell the neighbors you need help welding something and spray it down with brake cleaner before you weld just have a respirator under your mask, that will end their complaining.

Pitman arm puller, good idea. I didnt think it would fit. I always have troubles getting the axle shafts out with the whole bearing assembly. Whats the easiest way to do that?

Back