• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end noise?

quinnt

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 2001 xj with a 3 inch skyjacker lift and a jks adjustable track bar. Yesterday it started making a noise in the front driver side area. It sounds like somethings loose but from the limited time I had to check it out everything seems tight enough. The noise is worse over 40MPH and almost constant at that speed and faster. If i hold the steering wheel to the right a little bit the sound goes away, But if I turn to the left a bit it seems like its worse.

Any ideas? the only thing I can think is the U joint in the axle?

Thanks

how hard are unit bearings to replace? whats a good brand to get? are ones with grease zerks better? and how often should they be replaced? i have a 2000 with about 120K on it. it seems like only in 4 low it makes a noise "sometimes" like... ur rolling over rocks with a pipe on say cement, i cant say its loud but its just a sound i notice that i think it relates to... it doesnt sound like the once in a while gear grinding noise i get when going from 4 hi to 4 low... its just different. any ideas? most of the time i hear it when im at full lock or close to it driving in reverse or forward in 4 low at a slow speed like trying to make a slow tight turn.

Back