• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj was running fine, then sputters at stops, then dies.

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
so im driving it maybe a 4 mile circle around my town. first the battery was completely dead so i hook up my diesel battery to it and it cranks up fine and idles. i re-hook up the jeep battery to it and it makes no change in idle or anything so i shut the hood and go on my way. i figure i just wont kill it so the alternator can charge the battery up. go to the parts store leave it running it does great. go to the bank its fine, i come out the bank and at the stop signing exiting the parking lot it stumbles and dies. so i put her in neutral and try and restart it. it barely catches then dies. i keep retrying adding a little bit of gas to each crank. then it finally gets started i put it in gear before it has a chance to idle and i go on my way trying to get home. it does it 3 more times at stop lights. then i get to the mini mart to check it out and it dies completely, won't restart, i ran the battery out trying to start it so now the starter just clicks. wtf?!?!

history:
bought it not starting, replaced distributor got it started once. went bad again. bought a used IAC sensor and TPS sensor, made it start and idle and drive.

but now this. any ideas?

so im driving it maybe a 4 mile circle around my town. first the battery was completely dead so i hook up my diesel battery to it and it cranks up fine and idles. i re-hook up the jeep battery to it and it makes no change in idle or anything so i shut the hood and go on my way. i figure i just wont kill it so the alternator can charge the battery up. go to the parts store leave it running it does great. go to the bank its fine, i come out the bank and at the stop signing exiting the parking lot it stumbles and dies. so i put her in neutral and try and restart it. it barely catches then dies. i keep retrying adding a little bit of gas to each crank. then it finally gets started i put it in gear before it has a chance to idle and i go on my way trying to get home. it does it 3 more times at stop lights. then i get to the mini mart to check it out and it dies completely, won't restart, i ran the battery out trying to start it so now the starter just clicks. wtf?!?!

history:
bought it not starting, replaced distributor got it started once. went bad again. bought a used IAC sensor and TPS sensor, made it start and idle and drive.

but now this. any ideas?

First, alternators will not charge a dead battery. Unlike a generator that will charge a dead battery, alternators must have sufficient voltage to "excite" them.

Everything since you reinstalled the dead battery is a result of the dead battery.

Engine controls will start malfunctioning once voltage is below 9 volts.

Replace the battery or charge it.

Engine management system on your engine does NOT like it when available battery voltage is low. You really need to verify the condition of the battery before looking to more complex causes. You can have a battery that is strong enough to start the engine but not strong enough to keep it running.

LOAD TESTING is the only accurate way to determine battery condition.

I would have the battery checked by load testing, then either replace/recharge it as needed, just like Joe suggests. At the same time I would check the grounds from the back of the head to the driver firewall and the ones at the engine dipstick tube. Don't just look/tighten them, remove and clean them til you see bright metal.

Back