• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any "how-to's" on replacing heater core or radiator

chpmnsws6

NAXJA Forum User
Both froze last night and I know the radiator is leaking, so I'd assume the heater core will be also (just started getting heat from it today after hours of it sitting as I keep turning the jeep on and off to get the antifreeze circulated).

Any insight?

Thanks all!

heater core - proper instructions unfortunately start with "abandon all hope ye who enter here".

Radiator - drain coolant, pull e-fan and fan shroud, disconnect hoses, disconnect tranny lines, remove the top crossmember (held in with torx screws to the header panel and hex nuts/bolts along the ends), remove radiator, reinstall in reverse order (curse in different places.)

Heater core is very time consuming the first time you do it (ive dont it twice in the past month). Theres a write up for it some where on here. What year is it? The best tip i can give you is take your time and try your best not to get frustrated. also if you hace ac it will have to be discharged to get the core out. id give you a hand if i was closer
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931690&highlight=heater+core
that one is for 96 and older.

AC evac and recharge is the worst part. I can send detailed instructions if you like. Keep in mind for the most part the dash comes out as one large unit. No need to disconnect the radio, airbags etc. With air tools the dash is out in under an hour.

im sorry to hear that, i gust finished doing my heater core ( in a 1997) and it was a total PITA and yes you need to discharge the AC. i tried to do it without messing with the AC but its not possible. there are some great instructions just search for them. And as for JJacobs saying under an hour, well possibly if it was your 5 time. i probably got 9 + hours in mine.

im sorry to hear that, i gust finished doing my heater core ( in a 1997) and it was a total PITA and yes you need to discharge the AC. i tried to do it without messing with the AC but its not possible. there are some great instructions just search for them. And as for JJacobs saying under an hour, well possibly if it was your 5 time. i probably got 9 + hours in mine.

Nope- first time. I do swing wrenches for a living so that probably helps. Note I said dash out in an hour, not the whole job.

I'll have to dig up the alldata file and get it sent off.

If its in Alldata, I'll go ahead and take a peek. I just didn't know if you had personal pictures. I also turn wrenches enough that I should be doing it for a living...... Have an associates in turning them on diesels but found nursing is much more fun...... and makes communicating with the ladies a norm and not a rarity :D

With it being a 97 I would replace BOTH the heater core and the evaporator at the same time, the evap is just a matter of time. Mine was bad from day one but the dealer kept topping the 134 off till the warranty ran out, I only noticed it during the two summers. My fault, should have paid more attention but I have never had an evaporator go bad on any car I ever owned.
My question is what brand is the best replacement for the core and the evaporator.

I will be testing it once I replace the radiator. Can't really pressure test it very well when the radiator is leaking any kind of pressure out!

Also, why doesn't anyone make an aluminum heater core for our jeeps? Much like the CSF 3 row I ordered, I wish they made them in aluminum.

Just swapped out my heater core this week. It is definaly a hand full but not difficault. Just take your time and remember where it all came from. Mother nature has had my R-12 for many years so there was no need for an system evac or evap replacment with my swap.

Good luck to ya
Andy

I'll ask the question again who makes good replacements, not jeep for sure.

I got the CSF radiator in yesterday from Radiator barn. 161 dollars and SUPER fast shipping (Ordered friday)

Just swapped out my heater core this week. It is definaly a hand full but not difficault. Just take your time and remember where it all came from. Mother nature has had my R-12 for many years so there was no need for an system evac or evap replacment with my swap.

R-12 means it's old, pre-97. 97-up are a different animal so your experience doesn't apply here.

Back