• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welder ?

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
Wasn't sure exactly where to post this so I figured I'd ask you guys over here.
I'm looking at picking up a welder in the next few weeks, but the garage I rent doesn't have 220 wired to it. Not sure I can get the landlord to wire it up for it so looks like I'm stuck buying a 120v welder. My next big project is an 8.8 swap and I'm wondering if the 120v will be capable of safely welding the perches onto an axle tube?

With a 110 it would depend on what kind you got. You would have to have it turned up to the max and you may not get full penetration depending on how thick of metal your using. With a 220 you will get full penetration and a little cleaner weld depending on what type of wire you use. I love to use duel shield because it comes out clean and is strong to.

yep, sure is

So I put the welder purchase off for a few weeks but with tax money coming in soon I'm back on the search. So I was originally looking at getting a Lincoln 180 from Lowes or Home Depot. That would run about $675 from either store. Then I came across some Miller 180 Autoset welders on Ebay for $800. Is it really worth the extra $125ish for the Miller or will I be just as happy with the Lincoln?

home depot sells stuff w/ low duty cycles, and if you look a little bit harder, you can find a better setup.

i just moved up from a 100homedepot flux core, to a 220 snap-on MIG setup, man what a differance! the boy welder got put away, needless to say.

also, the welders at home depot dont have infinitely adjustable knobs... they have little preset spots the knobs click into (i wish i knew a better way to explain it....) i would spend the extra money on a welder to get that adjustability, which means stay away from home depot. i bought mine at praxair :lickout:

I bought the Lincoln HD 175 from home depot and am happy with it, I think it was only $500 and i had a 10% off coupon so it made it worth it. The thing that really made it worth it was when I broke the nozzle at 9:30 at night and needed my truck fixed for the morning,So I went and bought a new one at HD and the old one went back in the box for a full refund... back to welding before 10PM. I have the full gas setup with it. Just my .02

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm pretty much set on the Miller 180. I got quoted $1100 out the door for the welder, a cart and a 60lb tank. This is a little more than I had planned on spending but not too bad. Sound like a reasonable price?

go to your local welding supply house and talk with them. tell them what you plan to do and they will set you up. i know it sounds like i am a welding supply guy, but not at all. i just have learned through the years. once you get a welder from them you will need consumables. having that good relationship with them will also get you discounts. kind of like going red here on naxja. wire, gas, tips, clamps, wire brushes, ect, will be on your list, trust me. have a problem with your machine, or advise on metalergy (welding differnat metals such as cast iron)? they will help you. try that with home depot. all that said, get the biggest, baddest, most powerful welder you can afford the first time. its not a place to skimp, trust me. and when you really get into welding with a passion, get a TIG machine. youll be amazed. :clap:

i went with the millermatic 211. it has both 110 and 220 plugs. also pretty dang easy to use.

i just bought the same one its pretty awesome i love the fact it has the 110\220 setup and i got mine for 1100 with a helmet gloves and a roll of .030 wire i would recommend it to anyone for sure

when i bought my welder the guy at the welding shop i bought it at told me that the lowes and home depot models are so cheap becuase they use the same shell and skimp on the internals and have way more plastic parts just to keep them cheap for the box stores

Last edited:
a home depot 100hd is better then sitting on naxja saying 'if i only i had a welder....' if thats what you can afford, rock it! you'll eventually need more power, but it'll do bumpers! plastic is fine, if thats what you can afford, i had zero problems with my home depot 100hd, and i wasnt easy on it! lets keep it real. also, considering i have the cheapest welder home depot carries... theres no plastic stuff that ive seen, that should be metal... or is just OBVIOUSLY CHEAP, its not harbor freight!

Thanks again for all the replies guys. I ended up saying f*^k it, and ordered a Miller 211 last night. Paid $1100 for it from Indiana Oxygen. It's supposed to be here Thursday, so looks like I'll be playing with a new toy this weekend.

Back