• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steerin Issues Spotted, WITH PICS...

Senior_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok after another overhaul,, i finally got to take some pics just to get your advice & critiques of the pics & i have a video! So lets cut right to the chase.....................

My Drag Link Angle Doesnt Look that bad 2 me,, its Missing the Rubber Boot 2 hold the Grease in,, but u can see its Greased Well!!......

Drag Link Angle Pic #1
2gwfkag.jpg

Drag Link Angle Pic #2
xand3p.jpg

The Splines on my Steerin box Seem Twisted a bit & it Appears 2 be Loose!! Does this Mean its Time for a new Steerin box?? What about Replacing that T.R.E. also??......

Pitman Arm Pic #1
59t3yv.jpg

Pitman Arm Pic #2
28ix4is.jpg

59t3yv.jpg

Pitman Arm Pic #3
59t3yv.jpg

33ojnle.jpg

Notice the (jam?) Nut on my Rockkrawler Trac Bar?? Is it Supposed 2 be out in the Middle like that?? Look at These 2 Pics & u Can See it in Most of the Other Pics!!......

All 3 Issues in One Pic,, DRAG,, PITMAN,, & Trac,, Pic #1
2qcifj5.jpg

All 3 Issues in One Pic,, DRAG,, PITMAN,, & Trac,, Pic #2
143dq2c.jpg

OK,, PLEASE,, PLEASE,, no one tell me 2 use the search button!!
-- Keep replys on-subject & if not, then theres no need 2 reply!!
-- Remember,, im comin 2 "YOU GUYS" for this reason BECAUSE i'd like to hear from others more educated then me,, critique,, give an opinion,, & PLAIN OLD GOOD SOLID ADVICE!!

Thank You,
SeniorXJ

Last edited:
First thing i to tigten down th jam nut on the trak bar, It also looks like your pitman arm nut came loose and caused it to drop and twist the spinnes so your probably looking at a new steering box. How long have you been driving like this?, I periodically look over my jeep for things like this that can lead to bigger problems.

-- Any Ideas of an aftermarket steering box?? Ive heard of the durango swap.
-- Ofcourse i'll have to buy the supports from a fab company!
-- Then probably add in a brace like rustys has.

Then im Golden!! ((and broke!!)) LoL!! LoL!!

As others have noted, tighten that jam nut down! :scared:

Pitman arm nut looks loose to me, too.

Can't really say if the drag link + track bar angles look good without seeing a pic of the whole setup at once, including both ends of each link - in the same picture otherwise the angle is hard to judge!

-- Any Ideas of an aftermarket steering box?? Ive heard of the durango swap.
-- Ofcourse i'll have to buy the supports from a fab company!
-- Then probably add in a brace like rustys has.

Then im Golden!! ((and broke!!)) LoL!! LoL!!

Dakota, Durango box for 99 4x4 V8 option works. You dont need supports except for 1/4" worth of washers to space it out since the boxes are bigger. Unless the supports you are talking about are for steering box reinforcement plates on the frame rails.

but ya, crank that pitman arm nut on the sector shaft to be uber tight and fix that trackbar jam nut

1) Is this Dakota/Durango steering box stronger then the stock 95 XJ??
2) Will it be a direct bolt in??
3) Junkyard or new from napa??
4) Do they make any aftermarket boxes??

THANKS Guys for all the help so far!! You made it crystal clear what needs fixin & what to do!!

Dakota, Durango box for 99 4x4 V8 option works. You dont need supports except for 1/4" worth of washers to space it out since the boxes are bigger. Unless the supports you are talking about are for steering box reinforcement plates on the frame rails.

but ya, crank that pitman arm nut on the sector shaft to be uber tight and fix that trackbar jam nut

1) Is this Dakota/Durango steering box stronger then the stock 95 XJ??
2) Will it be a direct bolt in??
3) Junkyard or new from napa??
4) Do they make any aftermarket boxes??

THANKS Guys for all the help so far!! You made it crystal clear what needs fixin & what to do!!
1) yes
2) almost, see above
3)Junkyard if you're poor like me or new from Napa if you can afford peace of mind
4)AGR, PSC are a couple of companies that make aftermarket steering boxes

how much of that tie rod end is screwed into the drag link? it looks like the drag link may be too short. splines on the box look to be twisted too. might just be the camera angle though

Back