• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Santa's Bringing 4 KC Daylighters... does he need to pick up a new alternator?

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So Santa left out the order confirmation for 4 KC Daylighters and although the surprise is now ruined I at least have some time to do some research.

Question number 1) The stock alternator on my 99 sport, can it handle the new lighting with stock wiring etc (no mods done to it)

Question number 2) If you answered "no" to question number 1, what would I need to do to allow me to run the lights?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lights-L..._c=14&t_s=448&t_pt=4242&t_pl=2762&t_pn=K/C634

tell santa to take them back, and bring em back w/ HID conversions! then theres no doubt you can run em without upgrading the alt.

Im running that setup, four on the roof and also two hella 500's on my bumper. When im out at night I run all the lights at once and i have no problems with my alternator or anything.

Stock alt should be able to handle it but to make sure I'd at least upgrade the wiring with 5-90's kit. It's highly praised around here for helping to get rid of any weak charging problems. Then if it's still not enough there's always the 136A alt route.

Stock alt should be able to handle it but to make sure I'd at least upgrade the wiring with 5-90's kit. It's highly praised around here for helping to get rid of any weak charging problems. Then if it's still not enough there's always the 136A alt route.

Or even the recently-discovered 160A alternator route, to go one step past that.

I've got to work on a list of donors and I'll put it up on the Tech section of my site - I'm just a bit snowed under at the moment (December. MIL punched her ticket six weeks ago, and I'm still handling all of the administrivia from that. Wife's getting a new hip on Monday - so I've got that in front of me. Oy vay iss mir!)

I still handle enquiries and such as fast as I can, but there's some stuff that just has to wait (business does not, administration does. You get the idea.)

Yeah I'll just tell Santa to spend 4x as much on the HiDs... hes an understanding guy so it will all work out I think.

But in all seriousness I should be fine with the stock alternator, and I plan to create a custom wire harness myself for them anyway so It should not be a problem.

I ran 4 100W lights on my roof for a while, fine as long as you keep the revs up. With the headlights and all 4 lights on, I could watch the voltage gauge drop if I let the rig idle. If you'll need the lights on while idling, search for the high-idle writeups (basically, run wire #12 from the ECM to ground [through a relay] and when grounded, it'll raise the rpms up to around 1000-1100 like the police package vehicles had.) I did a night geocaching trip through a forest following tiny reflective dots for several hours once, had the lights on for around 5 hours with no problems, even for the stock battery.

Ebay H3 HID conversions are $43.50 shipped. so $100 more for 4 HID lights... the difference in light output is like a lit Match, and a Bon fire.

HID's are Lower watt too. the KC's are 100w. HIDs are 35w

What is the 5-90s kit and who sells it?

yeah, those are set up for the H3 mount. you may have to do a little drill work to make the large cable fit, but there is plenty of room inside the light to fit the HID bulb. You'll also need to find a spot to mount the ballast. That measures roughly 3.25x3.1x1.25" That's really the only tricky part.

Back