• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"jumpy" steering after spacer install

Philprof

NAXJA Forum User
I added some wheel spacers (1.25) and now my steering seems "jumpy" at near full lock. TJ rubicon rims...I understand the geometry has changed due to the wider stance, but is there anything that can be done about it?

TIA

p.s. the alignment is spot on

Is the tire hitting something? Are you feeling the tire lugs rubbing?

I realize this is the internet, but "jumpy" doesn't say very much. How about a better description? What have you already checked?

yeah, i struggled to come up with something better...I just got my first set of BFG ATs and they were hitting the CAs when i got near or on full lock. generally, my previous set was pushing a little through tight turns, but they didn't hit the CAs. After I put the spacers in, it seemed like they would "skip" every few feet or so (only in a tight turn at low speed). It pulls the steering wheel away from the turn, no matter which way I turn. It feels like they are real grabby and the "Skip" or jump is like the steering correcting itself, as if it builds up pressure, and then lets go...

thats the best i can do. its on 4.5 inches of lift with 32s and stock steering minus the zj tie rod, properly aligned and all...

TIA

Sounds almost like you have it in four wheel drive on dry pavement to me - not saying you do, just that it sounds similar.

check your toe alignment. It sounds like your front axle u joints are binding up during a turn.

Spacers won't effect how sharp it will turn......nothing changed between the knuckle and the stops or the steering box. U-joint binding and moving the steering wheel? I don't think so.

Go back to the tires rubbing, and look at it while it's moving. The spacers can be making the tire hit in a different place than before. We can speculate all day here, but the only way you're going to find it is by looking at it. Have someone else drive and turn sharp while you look.

Spacers won't effect how sharp it will turn......nothing changed between the knuckle and the stops or the steering box. U-joint binding and moving the steering wheel? I don't think so.

Go back to the tires rubbing, and look at it while it's moving. The spacers can be making the tire hit in a different place than before. We can speculate all day here, but the only way you're going to find it is by looking at it. Have someone else drive and turn sharp while you look.

It has to affect steering because the tire has moved in relation to the pivot point (or scrub point or whatever it's called"

Back