• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bent something, I think...

flyingphil

NAXJA Forum User
So after a day of wheelin', I come out of this swamp and launch my XJ several feet in the air. Land straight and square and go home without issues. Next day, I hear the usual creaks and groans out of it and take it to the local coin-op mud wash for a closer look under the front end. There I discover that the front sits a little crooked and that the drivers side spring is rubbing on the body, near the mount. The knuckle seems to be fine and, besides the swaybar bushings, nothing is messed up. I measured up the squarness of my XJ and all is well, within a quarter of an inch. Man, I dunno what to do.

Phil

if springs are rubbing then it's likely the axle has shifted.
check the track bar, and it's mount. Possible that you tore the frame.
check the axle and see if it's bent too.

pics, oh and thanks for the sarcasm free tips guys... I'll check the mounting points of the track bar and the center line of the front axle.
Phil
jeep_susp005.jpg

jeep_susp004.jpg

jeep_susp003.jpg

jeep_susp002.jpg

serialphreak said:
that was un called for.

How was that uncalled for? It was an idiotic thing to do. If you're driving like that it means you are wheeling irrisponsibly and giving us all a bad name.

You wonder why somthing is wrong after an incident like that? Are you nuts? Was the XJ designed to fly? No, that's why it doesn't have wings like an airplane...

To answer the question though it looks like a bent sway bar to me, though without checking the frame over you could have bent that as well. If you did, consider it done and learn from your mistake.

Yep..looks like the trackbar is the problem. The orientation of the endlink (bent towards drivers side) is the giveaway to me. That's how my setup looked before i got an adjustable trackbar.
jeep_susp005.jpg

mdl said:
How was that uncalled for? It was an idiotic thing to do. If you're driving like that it means you are wheeling irrisponsibly and giving us all a bad name.

You wonder why somthing is wrong after an incident like that? Are you nuts? Was the XJ designed to fly? No, that's why it doesn't have wings like an airplane...

To answer the question though it looks like a bent sway bar to me, though without checking the frame over you could have bent that as well. If you did, consider it done and learn from your mistake.

You're off base here mdl I have been in that situation and it was only the result of maintaining momentum while in the mud ( see swamp). This is not the pinnacle of irresponsibility that you paint it to be. It is sometimes a necessity in low traction situations.

goodburbon said:
You're off base here mdl I have been in that situation and it was only the result of maintaining momentum while in the mud ( see swamp). This is not the pinnacle of irresponsibility that you paint it to be. It is sometimes a necessity in low traction situations.

I'm going to disagree, maybe pop the nose up a little bit, but a few feet in the air? I don't think so.

I'm not going to create a pissing match.

*runs away*

regardless if he was being stupid or if it was an accident, it doesn't matter.

anybody who has ever wheeled for a while, has at least 1 stupid ride under their belt. and if you even think about saying you haven't, then i call major BS. none of us have any right to critizice somebodies driving unless it was plain and simple illegal. hell i know i've done stuff that was "stupid".

anyways, back to the original thread....it does look like it could possibly be your trackbar. make sure you also check your control arm mounts and just for the hell of it, check your axle tubes for straightness.

mdl said:

HUH? how would a bent sway bar effect the axle.... it looks like he needs longer disconnects, but its not going to shift the axle...

I would look over the control arms... oh, and everything else connected to the axle.....:laugh3:

Just to clear up any concerns of any wrong doing upon my part, it was on MY land, in MY swamp and as the title states, MY jeep. Now back off you fatherfigure wannabe. Christ, give a guy a break, I had to fly out of the swamp, I mean, my girls were watching from the side of the trail... What should I have done, call a towing, or a AAA truck? Yeah right. ABesides, you never made a mistake before, naaaaaaaaah, you are the perfect one everyone is talking about...

Phil, good but far from perfect.

holy smokes mdl!! what a freak. dont pay attention to that guy, some take this too seriously, after all it is still about having fun right? Wow.

Back