• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

solo winter night wheeling checklist

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Goin in a few hours, here is my checklist:

-tirechains
-all the norm recovery,trail gear
-wool blankets, tarps,
-collapsable shovel
-lots of water
-of course winter clothing
-flashlights (charged spotlight, fenix led, cheapie led and a mag)
-canned food, chocolate bars, and some perishable food
-spot satelite tracker, garmin60cx, cell phone
-cookstove,and small propane bbq
first aid kit.
-box of crackling firelogs (the ones that smell like cofee)
-weapon,( just in case)

If anyone like to add to my list feel free!

you forgot your cajones... winter wheeling/hiking/camping is something i don't think i'll ever do solo. i've seen what can happen... but have fun, be safe, and good luck. i do honestly think your list is pretty good, though.

I would substitue a winter sleeping bag for the wool blanket.

Another vehicle? Your plan sounds like a recipe for disaster.

-----Matt-----

Not necessarily as long as he knows his limits and the area he's in and doesn't have a problem backing out of a trail that's getting too tricky. Hell I used to go offroad about once a month when I got my Jeep, always alone, always at night! I think it was about two years after I got the Jeep before I ever went out in the daylight!

Correct me if I'm wrong but just going to the store in the winter in BC could be considered winter wheeling! :spin1:

Went great ,didn't get to my destination because the snow got a little to deep, got worried when I couldn't see my tires. My dad tracked my trek on google earth so someone knew where was at all times. Was fun. Do it all again tonight.

Correct me if I'm wrong but just going to the store in the winter in BC could be considered winter wheeling! :spin1:
Haha, yeah usually, but we havent got any snow yet, its all in the mountains

I´d throw in a set of charergs and spare batteries for all the electronic stuff.

Good gloves and a head lamp for working at the vehicle when it brakes down.

Maps of the area

A (not yet drunk) buddy which you can call in the middle of the night when the SHTF and you need a recovery vehicle.

* LOTS of spare propane and gasoline
* a fully charged spare battery and a set of jumper cables

Can't think of much else... except a two way radio, of the maximum power you are licensed for or allowed. Become a Ham (in CA you'll get a VKxxxxx callsign iirc) and you'll be allowed to transmit at some fairly high power levels, I've talked over 50 miles with my two meter set to max power and a good high antenna.

Those spot trackers are great I have to get one one day.
Sounds like a good list
X2 on the cold weather sleeping bag

Snowshoes.

Flare gun.

Last Will and Testament?

Snowshoes.

Flare gun.

Last Will and Testament?

x2

You would be so much safer with a second vehicle. Seems like you are putting all of your eggs in one basket.
I understand the "alone in the woods" rush, im an avid hiker myself. This seems sort of reckless if you ask me.

x2

You would be so much safer with a second vehicle. Seems like you are putting all of your eggs in one basket.
I understand the "alone in the woods" rush, im an avid hiker myself. This seems sort of reckless if you ask me.

:rattle:

Seriously, the guy wasn't posting here looking for a Mommy.

This seems sort of reckless if you ask me.

Yeah I agree people shouldnt sky dive either or bunjie jump or cross the street.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1017737 Guy died last week from exposure, leaving behind a wife, family, and daughter from a previous marriage. Granted, there was a wider time gap of when he was expected back, but it doesn't take long to be removed from the land of the living if the conditions are wrong.

If something happened & you were knocked unconscious with a badly bleeding wound, you probably won't come too before you lost too much blood. If another vehicle is with you, they might be able to do something to slow the bleeding & get you to help in time.

Of course, I have 3 kids (well, teens, but still kids!), so I feel I have an extra responsibility to stay alive. I get out and have an awful lot of fun, but do my best to do so without running any extreme risk.

It's a matter of not only what you are comfortable with, but what your loved ones are comfortable with. (insert smothering wife comments here, right? Nah, I don't have one!! :laugh:)

In defense of the OP, he has a satellite tracking device so folks know where he is (and might notice if he stopped moving unexpectedly). And he had enough sense to turn around when the snow got "too deep".

And as always, this is all just IMHO--my 1/50th of a dollar.

Back