• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case oil dilema

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
So where is the filling point on the t-case? and can i fill it even if the tranny and t-case are slanting down word, or will oil leak out of the output shaft? i know stupid question probably but i just want to make sure im doing everything right

The filling point is the 30mm hex bolt on the back of the case, about halfway up. It looks just like the drain plug and is 3 or 4 inches away from it.

Fill it up with whatever ATF you want to, it's not too picky since there are no clutches (at least if it's a 231 T-case, if it's a 242 with the fulltime 4wd this may be different)

Are you asking where to put the new tranny fluid in, or are you asking how much to put in, like what the maximum point of filling is?

The fill and drain plugs are big hex-headed stubby plugs on the rear of the transfer case. Random internet pic coming up

standard.jpg

Remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug, so as not to find yourself in a situation where you have drained all the fluid and are unable to fill because of a stuck plug. When you remove the lower plug the fluid will dump out.

To fill it, reinstall the drain plug, and add fluid until it just starts to spill out the fill hole, then reinstall the fill plug. Total amount of fluid will be between 1-2 quarts. Use transmission fluid, I like Dexron VI because it runs cooler but whatever you want to use should be fine. Parking nose down is good, since it lets you get a little more fluid into the transfer case.

One tip is to find a flexible oil spout since space is very limited down there and you have to pour sideways to fill the transfer case. I have an orange one that screws onto oil quarts that is curved with a sealable tip and it works awesome for this. I also have a funnel that has a detachable accordion spout that is also satisfactory although it doesn't work as well as the orange mystery spout. Here's the orange one, seems to be a Blitz product.

flotool10100-yy.jpg

Good luck.

thanks for the help man
so to fill it i just need to take off the fill plug obviousy i wouldnt want to take off the drain plug while filling lol that sounds kinds pointless haha. anywaysl, thanks for all the help guys

Make sure you can unscrew the fill plug first before you drain the transfer case. There have been more than a few people who have drained it first, only to find out that their fill plug is stuck, and no longer have a way of filling the case.

Back