• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those of you with metal tailight boxes

Rural-Assault

NAXJA Forum User
I got a set of the metal tailight boxes from JCR during the black friday sale. Instead of the LEDs I went the cheap route and ordered the incandescent lights from napa. On their website they had a parts list and I ordered them per that list. I'm terrible at wiring and they don't supply a wiring diagram. Does anyone know how to wire these things. Heres some pics of what i have and the configuration they are supoposed to be in.

2 large brake/running light with 3 wire harness for each.

2 small orange lights that are to be used for the blinkers only. I have a 2 wire harness for these.

2 small red lights that mount in the side of the box that are to be used for running lights only. These also have a 2 wire harness.

On the factory wirisng there is one wire that says MAJOR one that says MINOR and one that says GOUND. I need to know which wires on the aftermarket harness connect to which wires on the factory harness.

Just find the wires from the stock bulbs and wire them to the corresponding new ones. For example, remove the tailight and find the blinker wire. Wire the new harness for the same (new) blinker to the existing wire. Do the same for the brake and running lights. Im not familiar with how the stock harness is wired to the lights themselves, so youre on your own with that one :D

^^I STILL wouldn't know what to do if i a multimeter. lol I am very electrically challenged. I can connect wires when they match but these wire colors don't match up.

I tried just wiring them a bunch of different ways. One way the running/brake light got dimmer when i pressed the brake. The other way i wired them the blinker was going 90mph, which i know isn't right either. I think i've tried every combination there is to try.

Here is a pic of the factory brake light wires on the bulb housing. second is a picture of the back of the new brake light. third pic is also the new brake light (label for the middle red wire im guessing??) So looking at he pictures, which wires need to be connected to which? haha

"Major" on the stock bulb is for brakes, needs to go to red on the new light. "Minor" goes to black (And I'm guessing your smaller red lights?), and "Gnd" to white. Not sure why black isn't ground on the new lights, but I guess that's just how they made it.

Also I'm guessing that you have reverse lights mounted somewhere else? If they're higher wattage than the stock lights then make sure you have a relay wired in with a separate fuse or you'll melt the stock wiring.

And my blinkers go really fast too, it's cause the new lights are a higher resistance than the old and so the blinker relay doesn't work right. Same reason they'll blink real fast when a bulb is burnt out. You'll get used to it.

Last edited:
Back