• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KOR or Iron Rock Adjustable Trackbars (Death wobble resistance)

Mooseoftoose

NAXJA Forum User
New to this forum, picked up a 96 XJ last week and slapped on a RC 4.5" kit. Well, during the first test drive I hit a bump at a mere 20mph, and got the death wobble. I cranked down the lower trackbar mount, which was redrilled per RC instructions (terrible design by RC). This helped, and I was able to hit about 38 before having my hands thrown from the wheel during DW. Checked the upper mount, and the johnny joint bushing is like jello. Since the tightening helped alot, Im guessing my trackbar is a major source of the DW.

Im replacing the trackbar with an adjustable and am looking for some direction. Im looking at Kevins Off Road JKS conversion kit, which eliminated the upper johnny joint, stiffinging things up witha double sheer design. ($205 after core charge return, + shipping)
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/tbconversion.html

Or...

Iron Rock's adjustable trackbar. Essentially the same thing, using a new mount to eliminate the johnny joint. ($189, free shipping for the holidays)
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-STBCK&Category_Code=PFX

Anyone have experience with either of these? Im interested mostly in eliminating DW, hoping one of these will help.

I have Kevin's TBC, I was not cheap when I bougt it. I could have saved a bit had I known the mount is nothing more than a stock mount with some tube welded on the bottom for double sheer. I could have just bought the JKS trackbar myself and fabbed it up at home in 10 minutes.
That said it does work great and did firm up my front end a bit.

New to this forum, picked up a 96 XJ last week and slapped on a RC 4.5" kit. Well, during the first test drive I hit a bump at a mere 20mph, and got the death wobble. I cranked down the lower trackbar mount, which was redrilled per RC instructions (terrible design by RC). This helped, and I was able to hit about 38 before having my hands thrown from the wheel during DW. Checked the upper mount, and the johnny joint bushing is like jello. Since the tightening helped alot, Im guessing my trackbar is a major source of the DW.

Im replacing the trackbar with an adjustable and am looking for some direction. Im looking at Kevins Off Road JKS conversion kit, which eliminated the upper johnny joint, stiffinging things up witha double sheer design. ($205 after core charge return, + shipping)
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/tbconversion.html

Or...

Iron Rock's adjustable trackbar. Essentially the same thing, using a new mount to eliminate the johnny joint. ($189, free shipping for the holidays)
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-STBCK&Category_Code=PFX

Anyone have experience with either of these? Im interested mostly in eliminating DW, hoping one of these will help.

the stock track bar uses a tie rod end, not a johnny joint.

did you do a wheel alignment after the lift? toe and caster could be way off.

the best option is a trackbar that mounts in double shear with a new frame bracket.

im looking into getting the ironrockoffroad trackbar because of price, but would prefer the RE HD trackbar with the RE joint and bracket.

From what i have heard, if you go over 4" of lift you should buy a track bar..I have the RC 6.5 lift, it came with one..I hear the iroc track bar works great..I would call them to talk and see what they say..

Not yet, I figured Id try the trackbar first, since I need one anyway. If that doesnt solve anything Id try an alignment next.

the first thing after a lift is to get an alignment or do it your self.

at 4.5" of lift, you really read an adjustable track bar, HD and double shear mounted would be the best option.

did the kit come with adjustable control arms? control arm drop brackets?

Their site says "solid steel alloy", is yours actually SOLID steel, not rolled tubing like most others? That would extremely beefy, seems like a winner

yeah its actually solid steel, and the threads are machined into the end for the giant heim and the frame side bracket is 1/4" plate and double shear

The Iron Rock Offroad HD Adjustable Double Shear Track Bar is stronger and cheaper. I have one and so do several of the local XJ's. Beefy parts and it works great.

the first thing after a lift is to get an alignment or do it your self.

at 4.5" of lift, you really read an adjustable track bar, HD and double shear mounted would be the best option.

did the kit come with adjustable control arms? control arm drop brackets?

It came with extended, heftier lower control arms, non adjustable. Seems like they help with caster by preventing the axle from being bulled backwards, which is what would happen if stock control arms were used.

Think Im gonna go for the Iron Rock double shear trackbar

I have Kevin's TBC, It was not cheap when I bought it. I could have saved a bit had I known the mount is nothing more than a stock mount with some tube welded on the bottom for double sheer. I could have just bought the JKS trackbar myself and fabbed it up at home in 10 minutes.
That said it does work great and did firm up my front end a bit.

what does kevin's track bar conversion do? i need an adjustable track bar, but i don't know if need this conversion. The only thing it seems to offer is another $50 out of my pocket and a little strength.

Thats alittle cheapo, maybe I should try the iron rock, they make a solid double shear mount. Thanks for the input, def. helps

I was going to buy the IRO unit before my accident and probably still will!

Just got off the phone with IRO. After talking to them, i have this burning desire to give them my money! They will give me the DOUBLE SHEER adjustable track bar for $190...SHIPPED! Where have they been my whole life?

Just got off the phone with IRO. After talking to them, i have this burning desire to give them my money! They will give me the DOUBLE SHEER adjustable track bar for $190...SHIPPED! Where have they been my whole life?

+1, just ordered this too. Got one of their HD steering stabilizers too. XXXX death wobble.

I have the IRO and i am happy with theirs.

MAKE SURE YOU TIGHTEN THE PISS OUT OF THE JAM NUTS AND THE BOLTS ON THE FRAME SIDE! it will move around slightly if not tighten enough. again the IRO is SOLID, not hollow at all! beefy, the track bar mount bracket on the frame side is BEEFY too!

Just put the IRO track bar on last weekend and love it. But yes, tighten the hell out of the frame side bolts. If you happen to break this track bar, it will be the least of your problems...

Back