• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking sound when in low range

TheOoz

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 Limited with an NV-242. When in low range I occassionally hear a ticking sound from underneath the XJ. Sometimes I can make it stop by stopping the XJ, and then accelerating again.

It seems to be most noticeable driving up hills. I don't think I have ever heard it on a descent. The sound is consistent and certainly related to something rotational.

I have never heard the noise in any other transfer case mode (high range 4WD or 2WD).

Any ideas on what may be causing this?

Last edited:
Sounds like your chain might be stretched a bit.

X2. The low range is putting more stress on the chain than high range is, so it stretches a bit more and is coming closer to the case, or in this case touching it. Check if it is indeed the chain, if it is, replace it before it jumps teeth on the gears and chews them up or wears a hole in the transfer case casting.

To check the chain, do I need to remove the cover as per the FSM and just check to see if there are marks where it is rubbing the case? Is there another way to check it?

ok, so just gave that technique a go and every now and again I could hear a non-gear (i.e. I could hear the gears meshing back and forth and this sound was different) "tick" in the transfer case. Does that confirm it is the chain?

Method I used was XJ on the ground, transfer case in Park, and just wiggled the front yoke back and forth as mentioned.

Sounds about right, did you have the front wheel(s) off the ground, or the front driveshaft disconnected? One of those will be required to get a really good idea of how much slop there is in the transfer case.

I didn't have the front wheels off the ground, or the front driveshaft disconnected but I could hear the chain touching the case on occassion.

I will check again and see if I can get it moving more. Am I really just listening for that chain slap sound?

That, and trying to figure out how much slack is in the chain - the extra length will hang down below the two gears, so if you pull the front shaft and put it in 4wd you should be able to get a good feel for how much it's swinging around by turning it back and forth, alternately tightening each side and letting it hang loose.

Back