• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor problem? need help.

89xj 2781

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, here we go. I have read as many threads as I can, trying find the same problem or some thing close to it. And so far I can't find anything. I was having a problem with mpg, gas in the oil and oil in the air filter. I kinda fixed some of it, but not permanently. The mpg and oil in the air filter was fixed with a catch can. My problem now is, real rough idle, little bit of water in the oil, and running real rich. I did a compression test, and for to back on the 4.0 was 125, 130, 135, 130, 115, and 135. I know the 115 is alittle low, but not super bad. Did a tune up, with cap, rotor, wires and plugs. And I can't figure out why its doing why its doing this. I need help. Please if you have any advice, let me know. Thank you.

I forgot to say, its an 89 xj with the 4.0, 5.5" lift, adjustable track bar, d30, d35 with stock gears and no lockers yet. Also quick diconnects, and 33"x13.5"x15" toyo m/t. I love this thing, I just wish it ran the way its supposed to. Thank you in advance for any help given.

The high and the low should be within 10 percent of each other, yours is at about 15 percent--not a good sign.

Water in the oil can be an indication of a head/gasket problem OR it can also be condensation from an engine running too cold and the oil not being heated enough to get rid of the moisture.

What thermostat are you running? 195 degree Stant Premium is what I use and recommend. Also, a cold running engine will waste fuel, and fuel will get into the oil. This happens because the cylinder walls, pistons, and rings don't expand enough to seal properly when running too cold.

I would pull the thermostat and either boil it with a thermometer or just replace it. Do a search for "burping" of the cooling system because you want to get all the air out of the system. There is a recommendation to drill two small holes in the thermostat and position them at 12 and 6 o'clock--a really good tip.

You can rent a block tester, you have to buy the chemical kit to use with it, and check for combustion gases in the coolant, but an early sign of that is an over-pressurized coolant system with coolant blowing out.

I'm not sure about what thermostat is in it. The heater is never very warm, but it runs around 210 on the temp gauge. And it also has a lot of blow by still. And in the blow by, there is a lot of milky stuff coming out. I will check the thermostat and replace it. I have the money for a junkyard motor, do you think its time to just replace the motor, cause of the compression results?

I replaced the fresh in gromet on the valve cover and flushed the ccv system. So its not that. Its building up too much pressure in the crankcase and causing the oil blow by. I just don't know why there is so much pressure.

You did not mention the mileage. I would assume since it's an 89 it might be in the high 100K or low 200k. As far as milky stuff is it the color of muddy water stirred around like in a blender mixed with other fluids? Were you wheeling if deep mud holes and then started having the issues? Lots of questions but it might help.
If you feel getting a JY motor will save you in the long run then go for it. Personally, I would try some of the options others listed above before I throw in the towel.
Stukboy

It has 175k and no deep wheeling yet. I am gonna try a couple of things before I give up. The thermostat is gonna be the first thing I try. If you have any more ideas that would be great. I got some orange top ford injectors that I'm gonna put in this weekend also.

Now its running rreally good. I'm not if any thing else is fixed by the vaccum line being fixed. Its running the best it has since I have had it. So thanks for the help and if any thing else comes up, I will let you know.

Back