• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil leak distributor?

SKIM

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have a 94 xj 4.0 and I think it is leaking oil from the distributor. but It doesn't look like it is leaking where the distributor meets the block it looks like it is right above that, like where the shaft meets the biger part under the cap. Is there an O ring this leak is really bad:bawl:
Thanks,
Skim

This is typically causes by worn rings and a plugged breather system causing the crankcase to be pressurized. With it running, pull you oil filler cap. If gas comes out, you breather system is most likely plugged. They can be picked up for a reasonable price at the dealer. The plug can also be in the port in the valve cover.

"oil leak distributor"?

That's a good name for an XJ...

Seriously though, check your CCV system like old_man said, if that isn't it, you might actually have a leak coming from the oil filter adapter base, they're pretty close together and the O-rings in that are known to be a leak causing issue.

The truck only has 87 thousand miles I dont think the rings are warn or I hope not. I took the cap off and no gas and with the cap off and the breather off it still leaks from the distributor. Anything else I can check for thanks for your help old_man

Last edited:
Seriously though, check your CCV system like old_man said, if that isn't it, you might actually have a leak coming from the oil filter adapter base, they're pretty close together and the O-rings in that are known to be a leak causing issue.

Lol Thats what I thought too,
I though it could be that o ring also but I replaced the oil filter adapter O ring about a year ago and I can see that it isn't leaking from there. Thanks for your guys help I lost a quart of oil coming home from work 15min freeway drive its a mess.

Last edited:
does anyone else have any ideas please help me out I can't drive it like this Im loseing to much oil. Im kinda freakin out:wow:

absent a leak at the mounting gasket, I can't see where else a distributor could leak without a pressurized crankcase. Oil shouldn't be getting higher than the gasket with any pressure at all.

Ok thanks thats where it looks like its comin from but I will try and clean all those vent hoses and look around more thanks for your guys help.

Last edited:
1994 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT 4.0L 242cid L6 MFI (S) : Ignition : Distributor Mounting GasketPriceCoreTotal
Advice.gif
FEL-PRO Part # 70051
MoreInfo.gif

1 11/32" OD
getimage.php

$1.47$0.00$1.4
As said, check the CCV, the OFA, sometimes the distributor shaft/body become worn and oil will puck up into the cap (not serviceable), the oil pressure sender, the filter, and the distributor gasket. Also, oil running down from the valve cover.

Hey SKIM!

wash down that side of the engine, and run it for a while, I thought I had the same problems with oil filter adapter and then the distributor base gasket, but after cleaning up all that and replacing orings/gaskets, I ran it for a day and discovered an oil leak coming from the head. not great news, but at least i know the source. i guess my point is, clean it all up, and KNOW where the leak is coming from

Back