• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will 2 regular car batteries work?

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
will they work for a dual battery setup in my jeep? i have a 97, and was looking to build a setup that would be good for running a winch. my reasoning for this is to make it easier on my alternator until i get time and money to hi-mount it and upgrade it to a durango unit. wouldn't you be able to just run some 4 ga. wire between the batteries and call it a day? 3/4 and 1 ton pickups with diesels do it all the time, what would be the difference on a jeep? thanks for any and all input.

Yes, it will work - just find a good spot to stash the second battery. You're already looking at upgrading the alternator, that's the only other thing to worry about, aside from wiring (make sure it'll handle the current, DONE!) and fuses (choose to handle the rated load current plus a little for surge capability, DONE!)

Yes, it will work - just find a good spot to stash the second battery. You're already looking at upgrading the alternator, that's the only other thing to worry about, aside from wiring (make sure it'll handle the current, DONE!) and fuses (choose to handle the rated load current plus a little for surge capability, DONE!)

X2. And use 2AWG cable for maximim ampage.

You don't have to use 2AWG, but I personally would tend to agree. 2AWG welding cable specifically - it has many more, finer strands than standard 2AWG stranded and is thus far easier to work with and can carry slightly more current. The insulation is also usually built to handle much more severe service. 2AWG will handle 181 amps constant for in-chassis wiring, according to the National Electric Code, so it should be fine.

EDIT - a useful trick when working with high currents is to parallel two smaller wires to get an equal current carrying capacity to a larger wire. It reduces the diameter of the holes you have to drill in things, makes it easier to hide the wires under trim (two 1/4 inch wires are easier to hide under carpet side by side than a single 3/8 wire, for example), and in some cases reduces the overall cost.

Define "regular" car batteries?Most important in any dual set-up is that the batteries should match each other.

Why not just run a AGM Deep Cycle for the whole Jeep instead of 2 regular car batteries? You'll most likely get better performance without having to worry about a dual set-up.
Do the cable upgrade though. -B

well, the main reason i am doing the dual battery setup is because i have the batteries, and because i cannot afford the agm deep cycle battery. plus, i figured it would help it start better, among other things. i am definatly planning on doing the cable upgrade, but for now it, like other things, will have to wait. thanks for the input.

well, the main reason i am doing the dual battery setup is because i have the batteries, and because i cannot afford the agm deep cycle battery. plus, i figured it would help it start better, among other things. i am definatly planning on doing the cable upgrade, but for now it, like other things, will have to wait. thanks for the input.

Remember that if you are using Lead-Acid batteries (sealed or not) you cannot have one in the passenger compartment, unless you make sure that there is no chance of gases coming from the battery into the passenger compartment. Meaning, you'll need to have the battery securely fitted into a sealed battery box and vent by way of a hose to the outside. -B

thanks, i knew about the battery in the pass. compartment thing from building drag cars, but i am planning to put it in the place of the factory air box.

JUst make sure you don't wire it like the Diesels! Some run on 24 volts! You may know this already, but I didn't want some other reader to come along and go SWEET! I'll wire a second battery in the jeep just like my Diesel!
:flame:

90+% of the 4x4's out there (including buggies) run a winch on a single battery and a stock alternator. Do what you want to do, nothing wrong with improving any system, but you can run that winch forever on your current alternator and a battery in good condition.

Back