• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JP magazine says 1997 cherokees are crap

flazz85

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I own a 97 xj and it does most things perfectly fine, its lightly modified but nothing drastic. Anyways not sure who here buys or subscribes to JP magazine but their one writer Pete Trasborg in their newest magazine had a write up on late model jeeps to buy and what to look for and what not to. When he got around to xj's he broke them down to the renix years, the first 2 years that i'll even admit are basket cases, the updated older version (91-96), then the true late models (97-01).
After explaining all of them he goes on about the 97-01's and he talks about how their relatively the same compared to the older ones except for things like the OBD-II, different design, etc. But what he says of the '97 models imparticular is that they have crap wiring, mainly the wiring harness revisions due to the new computer. his exact words are "there were up to three wiring harness revisions in 1997. No matter who you talk to, everyone agrees that unless you are leaving it completely alone, you might want to avoid a '97. We've been in an out of most of these, and it's clear that it took Chrysler until late 1997 to figure out the wiring, make it neat, orderly, and uniform from one month to the next"
Now what I want to know is because he doesn't specify anything else regarding '97's it basically sounds like if you have a 97 your up sh*t's creek so what to do? Theres no way I am giving up my '97, I like the truck too much, and there too many memories with it. Does everyone agree with what Trasborg says here? If it is the case that '97's have bad wiring throughout what would be a good solution to the problem? How much would it cost to buy a new wiring harness for a '98 or up and replace the old one (obviously this would take a lot of time and would be expensive but I'm just trying to piece this all together). Also if we are talking serious dough would it be feasible when my motor needs a rebuild down the road(I have 150,000 + give or take on mine) to just scrap it and go for a crate 4.0L get the computer flashed and grab a new harness then? Or what about dropping an LS1 from a wrecked camaro or firebird into the xj and use that engines computer and wiring harness system (novak-adapters sells all the adaption parts you need to make the swap). Any other options? I am sure there are plenty so I just want to pick everyones brain over this one because that lame article kind of had me annoyed because obviously if you are like one of us you like to modify your xj but you don't want to deal with the computer going ape sh*t because you decided to add a few parts here or there.

You are reading too much into what Trasborg thinks. Enjoy what you got.

Unless you're going to do major engine modification or wire tucking, I wouldnt worry about it. Also, if you were going to swap in a different engine, you would have to make a new engine harness anyways, or buy one from Painless. So, unless you are going to be tearing into the wiring, forgeddaboudit.

And that's a picture of my XJ in that article (page 26). :D

Yes, they are basically saying that the wiring is a pain, being a changeover year and all. I'm sure they said the same thing about the 87, first year for the 4.0L, wiring harness is funky, etc.

"And that's a picture of my XJ in that article (page 26). :D"
They said you might want to consider the drawbacks before you purchase a 2-door. From the pic, it looks like you don't have many drawbacks. Nice jeep.

"You are reading too much into what Trasborg thinks. Enjoy what you got."
X2

If you like it, and it works for you, it ain't crap.

A lot of people say that RENIX (1984-1990 w/AMC engine) is crap, but I've owned five RENIX rigs so far (1987, 1988, 1989, 1989, 1990) and the only reason I've parted with any of them is because the damned City got involved, and I had a neighbour who just couldn't come down and ask me what was going on (crybaby.) If it weren't for that, I'd have them all in line for refits - but I kept the 88 two-door (I'm not getting rid of it!) and the 1990 is going to be cut up when I get around to it (for informational purposes. I originally got it for the transmission, engine runs fine, and I can take most of the body measurements I want on it. The engine is going to be checked out for stroking, the body is going to be measured as it is disassembled. I didn't plan on getting the thing - but it's more research for my books and website...)

1997: A 12-year-old automobile. Name one that does not need work.

So, what is this guy selling?

Please chime in if you have a 1997 that has wiring problems as described.

If this is the worst the article's author can come up with on the 97 XJ, that's not saying much. The 97 XJ is generally very reliable.

Enjoy your vehicle.

The entire point of the article is to help someone looking at buying an XJ for wheeling,
and with that in mind the article covers all the basics. If there was 3 different wiring revisions that year that might be of importance to someone hunting down a project XJ.

I had one 97 and will soon have another. It ran great it did have some minor wiring issues but what Jeep doesn't plus It doesn't have the 0331 head that liked to crack like the 00-01 models. That guy can stick his opinion bacck up the hole it came out of! :D

It's only an issue even on a project vehicle if you're going to be doing electrical mods, and if you are, you probably know enough that you won't mind a little extra confusion too much...

enjoy it, it'll work fine.

I picked up this issue and read it on my train ride home last night. The article was pretty well written and hit on a lot of the key points of each of the different era XJs. Only thing I didn't like was that he said the '99s are prone to head cracking, when it is only some '99s (the ones that got a coil-on-plug setup) and the '00-'01s.

I never took JP seriously. They gloss over details. The reality is that the 1996 was the cross over year. That is when they put OBD II in, not 1997. They may have has some issues due to the new interior and mods to the exterior wrt wiring, but don't fix what ain't broke. If you have some extra $$'s then throw them my way for my real problems!

I agree with 5-90, who has been around a long time on this forum, RENIX is a good system that is overly berated. I have one since new, and it has been a great vehicle. I determined that I would keep it for 10 years. Still have it and don't see any reason to get rid of it. I think the connections are degrading but, it still is running strong.

Just purchased a 98 Limited. Great ride, doesn't feel like the same as the 90 and 92 I have. Still feels like a Jeep!

I was cruising Rock Auto for parts cost, wow, inexpensive parts! What a great deal Jeeps are!

JP is reading for when I'm on the commode.

NAXJA is where I get my info.

I haven't had any issues with the wiring on my 97'

I have done several thing where I have needed to tap exsiting wires and each time the wire guide and colors have been spot on.

Trashborg's attitude and lack of writing skills are the main reason I no longer subcribe to JP.

Back