• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Receiver hitch recommendations??

96country

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be getting a receiver hitch in the next few weeks and was wondering what was the best one to go with? I noticed that they are not all rated equally. Some at 3500 lbs, some at 5000lbs.

Also, is it something I should let a hitch dealer install, or is it an easy bolt on?

Won't be using it for towing much, just for a pull point.

Thanks

Front or rear?

I installed a Hidden-Hitch in the front - easy installation, but I wound up removing the front bumper (I couldn't get the "nut-on-a-wire" thingy to work). I understand from previous discussions and pictures that the Draw-Tite is a similar installation, but doesn't hang down quite as far, giving a slightly better approach angle.

You should be able to do it yourself, most hitches are fairly easy to install. If you are installing a fuel tank skid also, it is better to do them together since they use alot of the same fasteners. The weak link will be the unibody, so get one that has the longest frame rails. But you also want to consider one that has a good departure clearance. I have a hidden hitch, which tucks up behind the bumper nicely and was easy to install. I also have done a Sure-Pull on my buddy's XJ, about the same install but his hangs down alot more. You might check ebay or your local auto recycler/u-pull for a cheaper option. Be sure and get the nut rails from a Jeep dealer, they make installation much easier.

Good luck!

I think mine's either Draw-Tite or Hidden Hitch. It's a class III, which has a GTW rating of around 6000# (I could be wrong about that number). I never used it for towing, but just for what you mentioned. It also serves quite well as a rear rock rail at times.

Although I had a dealer put mine on ( I was non-mechanically-inclined when I got the XJ 5 years ago), it's a simple bolt on.

i got one at u-haul last fall and they only offer the 1.25" receiver because the 2" exceeds the XJ's towing capacity.. i guess its a liability thing.. it's plenty strong but its a limitation as far as the accessories you can use... i strongly suggest you go to the dealer and get the nut/reinforcement strips that go inside the frame.. rear bumper has to come off to get them in but better than square stock and carriage bolts.. the strips are still available as long as the parts guy knows what to look for.. they are different right to left and run about 25-30 bucks each.. go for the biggest hitch you can get with the longest side attatchment plates.. my u-haul one has plates only about 12-14 " long held on with 6 bolts.... my factory hitch on the 87 is close to twice that, with 4 or 5 per side.. especially since its for recovery purposes..
mike

Usually, a 2in cherokee receiver is rated at 3500 without sway control arms, and 5000 with them. I bought a Mopar hitch and it comes with the nut plates/frame reinforcements that slip down into the frame and make life much easier when installing. however if your xj has a factory skidplate (steel not plastic) the inserts are already there. unfortunately, with the 5spd, I am only rated for 2000 lbs :( but I am working on a plan to remedy that.

I'd recommend the class III Hidden Hitch, it doesn't hang down as low as most others and except for the $ there's no harm in having a hitch rated for 6,000 lbs, just don't try actually towing that much with an XJ :)....I had one on my '95 XJ and plan on getting another for my '99. Install wasn't too hard, even for 1 person, except the wire threader thingies for the carriage bolts were a little tricky to thread into the frame, I gave up on the last two and only had 3 a side, but I was only towing a little utility trailer anyways. The nut strip sounds like the way to go...does anyone have a p/n?

I agree with the 2"hitch regardless of the tow capacity (and I don't mean over rate what you can tow). There are alot more things you can hook up to a 2" rather than the smaller hitch.

I had my hitch installed at a local shop and they used nuts on a wire to install it. Later, I bought the factory gas tank skid plate which came with the nut plates. Of couse, I ended up pulling everything to add the skid plate.

I second the Hidden Hitch. I have one on my 98 and it looks and works great. I bought mine at JC Whitney for a very reasonable price...

I third the Hidden Hitch> Have one on my '96 all you can see is the receiver part. The only problem I had putting it on was threading the bolts throught the frame. Its hard to het the bolts straight, especially the holes at the back but it is worth it. That hitch has a clean look on the back of my jeep

Hidden Hitch! I contacted hidden hitch by website. They recommended a dealer in my area, and it was installed, complete with a free Jeep hitch cover, for $160. I've had it for years, and it still looks good.

I have a Reese, and like it much, It was easy to install and tucks up nicely under the bumper. I've used mine more as a slider than a hitch, and it's held up nicely. Knotice how the bumper starts it's bend upward just after the hitch stops covering.

http://users.ucom.net/~werwe/bumper1.jpg

Whatever you do, go with the 2", class-III. When you or the guy behind you is sunk to the axles in mud :cough: "Bones at the Badlands" :cough:, you'll be putting alot of stress on that reciever.

I was at the grand opening of the Kansas Rocks ORV park a couple of weeks ago. After a major dry spell here in Kansas City, the rain came down all day long. Every trail was major mud and everyone was slipping all over the place and getting stuck. I was following a guy with a 1 1/2" receiver hitch with a hook bolted on it and I was praying that I wouldn't get stuck and have to depend on that thing for a tug.

IMO, it really shouldn't pass trail safety inspection.

Back