• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering issues when cold...

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I searched around for awhile, but with dial up internet it became frustrating. Well with the weather getting colder out, my power steering acts up some.. My jeep sits outside and in the morning when I get in and start it, the steering is almost like its frozen, rev it up a bit, screeches a bit and starts working fine. It only does this when its cold outside, spring summer and fall, there are no problems. Any ideas? Thanks

Hey guys, I searched around for awhile, but with dial up internet it became frustrating. Well with the weather getting colder out, my power steering acts up some.. My jeep sits outside and in the morning when I get in and start it, the steering is almost like its frozen, rev it up a bit, screeches a bit and starts working fine. It only does this when its cold outside, spring summer and fall, there are no problems. Any ideas? Thanks

You may have just a loose or worn serpentine belt that slips when there is moisture on it. Try to tighten it to specs or replace it.
The belt on my XJ also slips when it is wet to the point that the generator ligh come on and the power steering do not work for a couple (30 to 60) of seconds then all is fine again.

The spool valve in the steering gearbox isn't working right in the cold. Commonly called morning sickness. You might try a bottle of Lucas steering conditioner before replacing the gearbox.

Back