• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

instrument cluster replacment question

As far as I know its in the Cluster. I could be wrong though!

I believe it is stored in the cluster. I would suggest going to a dealer and having the mileage adjusted if you care that much.

i am totally in the same boat as you. i pulled a cluster from a similar year xj, but it has about 250000 kms on it, my jeep only has 170,000 on it. i went to the dealer after i cleaned the new cluster, removed the dash trim etc. i thought they would be able to roll bak the kms, then install etc, but they told me it was illegal etc. i was confused. currently it sits on my desk waiting .

how do you reset these things?

It's stored in both and incremented in both, I believe. The ECU will have the correct mileage and the cluster will keep updating with the wrong mileage. I believe the Chrysler DRB II tool will allow them to copy the cluster data to the ECU and vice versa, I've never heard of it being illegal to copy the actual mileage to the new cluster - obviously they think you are trying to roll back your odometer which IS illegal. If you can find a way to prove that your ECU mileage is correct and legal, and that the new cluster you got is from a junkyard and is inaccurate, you may have some luck.

I just did a gauge cluster swap in my '99. The "new" cluster will show what was on the donor Cherokee. It's not illegal for a dealer to "correct" the mileage on a replaced cluster.

There are third parties out there that can do this for you...reprogram the mileage on the cluster. (that's what I used).

If you do a search on this in the forum...there are some links out there...

ya man, i've read nearly all the cluster swap pages, and seems like everyone and their brother is doing it.

i'm wondering if its a canadian thing? most ppl doing this swap seem to be in the usa.

maybe?

Back