• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Slider/Rack/Light bar combo I would like to make

millhousenator

NAXJA Forum User
I might be insane, I may not, but I find this to be very useful for where I wheel (minus the giant light bar). I would like to build something similar and maybe dumb down the light setup. I think it looks really nice and have been looking for different roof slider/rack combo setups. Anybody have any other custom setups? I posted this here in hopes of maybe somebody local helping me make one since I dont have the bender or other equipment. The one in the pic looks like it weighs at ton, so Id like to build one similar that weighs less, and maybe tie it into an hybrid exo in the future. Thoughts?

Pictures:

roofrack1.jpg

roofrack2.jpg

roofrack3.jpg

Last edited:
Thats actually not a bad idea, except I would have to donate my left nut to be able to afford it! :doh: I would love to make one because I have always been interested in making something for the heep.

Looks heavy.... Guess you'd be okay as long as you dont' have 9" or lift and think you drive a sports car lol. Other than that i like it alot, minus the light bar. I have to fold down my ski/snowboard rack to fit in a parking complex as is heh heh heh.. :doh:

I could probably lighten it up by using less tubing for the base of the rack. I like it because it is more low profile than my surco was, hold more weight if needed, and it should be able to withstand trees. Im running 3.5" of lift on 33s and definately dont drive like a sports car haha.

Edit: Like said, the jeep in the pictures is not mine. I found the pics over on Jeepforum.

Last edited:
That rack you posted was built by Hellbilly04.

He said they actually weren't that heavy.

What part of Ohio are you in? I used to know a guy in Elyria, just west of Cleveland that could set that up for you no sweat.

I'd like to make something simple like that as well. I mainly want some sort of slider that goes down the side of the drip rails, plus a low profile rack. I sorta like the HD offroad design, but I want it even more low profile. I'm getting a welder for xmas so hopefully I can learn quickly and start building my own asap.

Wow, that's a lot of big tubing for a cargo rack. I think you could get away with way less and it still be beefy.

I built a roof halo as part my exo. Pretty basic and could very easliy stand on it's own. I used these gutter mounts and welded them to the tube. http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=10453

Here's a pic of the top of the cage:
P1000168.jpg

I load plywood on the top. I also have a small coffin roof top box that fits on the center two bars.

Obviously no light bar, but it would be easy to add.

That rack you posted was built by Hellbilly04.

He said they actually weren't that heavy.

Thats good to know, maybe I can get in touch with him to see if he has some specs on it. Is he a member here?

What part of Ohio are you in? I used to know a guy in Elyria, just west of Cleveland that could set that up for you no sweat.

Im in Dover, about 20 minutes south of canton.

Wow, that's a lot of big tubing for a cargo rack. I think you could get away with way less and it still be beefy.

I built a roof halo as part my exo. Pretty basic and could very easliy stand on it's own. I used these gutter mounts and welded them to the tube. http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=10453

I load plywood on the top. I also have a small coffin roof top box that fits on the center two bars.

Obviously no light bar, but it would be easy to add.

Thats a good looking exo, and thanks for the input and link! :) I was thinking of using the OEM rack holes to mount it rather than the gutters, but if there isnt a good way to do that Ill just mount it to the gutters then.

Yeah he's a member here.

Thats good to know, maybe I can get in touch with him to see if he has some specs on it. Is he a member here.

Yup his name is Billy, Hellbilly04.
He runs OTR fabwerks, i haven't seen him around the forum for a while, and i can no longer find his OTR website. He has alot of great creations and i hope he's still around!

Back