• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cold weather silicone tips?

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
so, it's about 35 degrees or so here in murfreesboro, tn, and i'm trying to get the new water pump goin on my xj. i'm guessing the cold weather is why my red silicone on the gasket isn't curing? what do i need to do to speed this up? i thought aboot stickin a space heater under there, but it shuts off when tipped at and angle, and it won't fit under the hood otherwise. should i just wait a couple days and drive sumpin else?:( it doesn't ever get very cold in tn, but it seems like it's always wheen i need to work on my jeep that we do get a little snow.:doh::wow:

if its not leaking, just drive it. the silicone will cure on the fly as long as it isn't the only thing holding the part on.

hang a drop light up close and walk away for a half hour or so. It'll warm it up enough to get things back together and the silicone will vulcanize over night even at 35*-- Just hold off on filling it up if it looks questionable.

just one more reason I can't stand R.T.V.-- gasket shellac seems to cure better (even when you don't want it to...)

hang a drop light up close and walk away for a half hour or so. It'll warm it up enough to get things back together and the silicone will vulcanize over night even at 35*-- Just hold off on filling it up if it looks questionable.

just one more reason I can't stand R.T.V.-- gasket shellac seems to cure better (even when you don't want it to...)

Yoiks.. are you still using glass bulb drop lights? Don't drop it when changing a fuel pump or filter, ok? :)

Back