• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick alternator question

rwhockey29

NAXJA Forum User
i tried searching for this but i cant find it. im replacing the alternator on my 89 cherokee 4.0L. but i dont have the 2 mounting bolts, that go through the alternator and screw into the bracket.

what size are they? length, thread size, etc? im assuming i need certain ones since the screw into the bracket?

While you are replacing the alt, I would recommend checking out the "moving alternator location" write up thread.

I would just grab them at a salvage yard.

If you do find out the size, PM 5-90 his is building a bolt/screw list on his website.

i checked that thread but im leaving it in place. im selling it to my friend to get a different one thats street legal

and i couldntfind them. lol

i checked that thread but im leaving it in place. im selling it to my friend to get a different one thats street legal

and i couldntfind them. lol

Maybe because I don't have them yet?

The one into the small tab (the threaded hole) is probably M8-1.5. For length, add the thickness of the tab to the thickness of the flange it goes through, and round up to the nearest whole increment of 5m/m.

The lower one could be either 5/16"-18, 3/8"-16, or M8-1.25 thread, no idea on the length.

As Joe said - once you confirm, let me know so I can add them to my listing...

Maybe because I don't have them yet?

The one into the small tab (the threaded hole) is probably M8-1.5. For length, add the thickness of the tab to the thickness of the flange it goes through, and round up to the nearest whole increment of 5m/m.

The lower one could be either 5/16"-18, 3/8"-16, or M8-1.25 thread, no idea on the length.

As Joe said - once you confirm, let me know so I can add them to my listing...

i meant i couldnt find the length, to tell you, not that you didnt have them yet. my bad
take alternator to auto supply store and have them match some replacement bolts. if not, like mentioned above, save the hassle and head over to the yard. :wave:

well my friend bought the jeep cause he needed some parts, so i dont gotta worry anymore

on to the next jeep!

Back