• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights

Baja_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Searched around, didnt find anything but I have a problem with my headlights. When I turn them on the parking lights work but thats it. The high beams work when the high/low selector switch is pulled, but the switch dont change, they just work if you keep it pulled. Pretty sure its the switch but I just wanted to confirm before I went through the trouble of buying and changing. Thanks

Yeah the more I thought into it I ruled out the switch on the column, that on/off switch is the first thing Im checking, when I get the time that is

It isnt the on off switch, and it isnt the fuse. What else could it be? I know theres probably a relay somewhere but I cant find the wiring and I dont know where to look...any help?

Umm, try another bulb/headlight, it is possible you have been driving with one burned out and only noticed it when the second went. Been there,done that.

I pulled the left headlight and checked the voltage at the connector that plugs into the lights. nothing.

Sometimes I pull the dash switch, dash lights up, running lights on, no headlights. Flick the high-beam/turn-signal multi-function stalk, viola, lights. It has probably happened five times in the three years I've owned the car. So, I'm saying it is possible that it's not the dash mounted headlight switch.

I checked the connector that the headlight wires go to, the big red wire has power, and the blue wire has power. Should there be another hot wire at that connector? The blue wire I can wiggle enough to make lose contact and the parking light go out, but I wiggled all the other wires and the lights never come on. Even with the lights turned on at the switch the multifunction switch dont click and keep the highs on. But the highs do come on when the dimmer is pulled

flicked, wiggled, smacked the multifunction, nothing happened. It seems to be fine to me, wipers work, turn signals work, they are strangely flickering but its been doing that for months and dont really see what would connect the 2 problems. Since the dimmer switch dont click even with the light switch on, do you think it could be bad?

Last edited:
It seems pretty clear that your multifuntion switch is not working properly. You hold it on and the headlights come on, but it doesn't click over to make contact for the low or the high beams. Yes, the wiper and turns work, but that is a different part of the multfuction switch inside.

Its a 90, I ordered a dimmer switch, it will be here in the morning. Hopefully that fixs it. Yes I checked fuses

Got it fixed. Wasnt the dimmer. Paid 50 bucks at autozone for a new dimmer because thats the only place that could have it within 5 days, changed it, still didnt work. Pulled the switch out and it was burnt up. Im guessing from running H4s with stock wiring harness

Got it fixed. Wasnt the dimmer. Paid 50 bucks at autozone for a new dimmer because thats the only place that could have it within 5 days, changed it, still didnt work. Pulled the switch out and it was burnt up. Im guessing from running H4s with stock wiring harness

So Strange, My 89 did the exact same thing last night, went to go out for some movies and I was like :what the hell no headlamps??" They work when I pull the high beam, thats it. Everything else is fine. This morning went out and same thing, flicked the high beam and fog switch a bunch of times and voila lights again. Sucks because its dark most of the time now. I am also running h4 conversion with normal wattage piaa lights. So the switch fixed it eh? Do the stock wattage h4's strain the system?

Yeah my H4s were standard wattage to. I went to oriellys and got a $22 switch and pluged it in, wallah, they work. The wire that controls the headlights on/off was fried black

Back