• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear install-Break in prcedure?

Droopy76

NAXJA Forum User
A friends coming over this weekend to help me install my new 4.56's. Is there some kind of break in procedure or some kind of special gear oil I need to run after the install?:guitar:

Thanks

Droopy

I tell my gear job customers this:

Drive 20 min at varying speeds up to 50 mph. Let it cool half hour.

Repeat 1 or 2 more times.

Then the first 500 miles .... drive normally but no towing (if you even tow in the first place). Try to remember to vary speeds from time to time.

Change oil at 500 miles and fill with the oil of your choice. If you have a limited slip ... you'll need to add that fluid in as well.

If you're anal retentive .. change fluid again at 1500.

Wait until 1000 miles or so for towing and keep the lights light and break it in again (tow 20 min and let cool) ... and 1 more time.

Then go have a blast.

Joe

use a good quality oil, but that goes without saying. no special additives or anything is needed. general consensus is drive 10 miles and then stop and let the gears completely cool off. do that 2-3 more times and they should be good. try to avoid heavy throttle and high loading of the gears while theyre breaking in

I rarely see "stock" disco fronts anymore.

Those that I did in the past .... I either pulled the front driveshaft or had them pull it. That way the vacuum mechanism would engage when you pull the lever .... but you weren't getting the transfer of power. At that point, the gears are spinning centrifugally. It's still wise to try to drive a few miles at a time (where you can safely) with a front driveshaft to put a load on the gears.

Joe

Back