• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper bump stop

CrazyEli

NAXJA Forum User
i'm putting 2'' coil spacers on my 93 cherokee. but they are too small to slide over the upper part of the bump stop. so i need to remove them to put the spacers on, but try as hard as i can i cannot get them off. i used a pipe wrench and still can't get it. any ideas?

They're not welded on from the factory. Unless the PO did it you just have to keep trying with the pipe wrench or channel locks, they'll come off.

Some PB Blaster and heat may help you out.

i took the rubber grommet off the top and its definately welded on there. but i sawed the bottom lip off and hammered the spacers in place.

Most of the XJ cups are welded in place, even though the ZJ and TJ cups are bolted. Even in 91 the XJ cups are welded while the ZJ cups use bolts. Supposedly some XJs have bolted cups but I've never seen one. Dunno if there are different years or if it was just inventory reuse or what. One of the things on my to-do list is to get some cups from a part-out or the junkyard, cut the welded cups off, and drill/tap a bolt hole.

What?

Just do this:
spacer.jpg

Clean the road grime off the 'tower' and spray some spray-lube (silicon or whatever) on and pop the spacer in place. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/jeeplift.html

Jim
www.yuccaman.com

Most of the XJ cups are welded in place, even though the ZJ and TJ cups are bolted. Even in 91 the XJ cups are welded while the ZJ cups use bolts. Supposedly some XJs have bolted cups but I've never seen one. Dunno if there are different years or if it was just inventory reuse or what. One of the things on my to-do list is to get some cups from a part-out or the junkyard, cut the welded cups off, and drill/tap a bolt hole.

My bad. The cups on my 90 screwed right off and screwed right back on.

Back