• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need input from EVERYONE

mattlago

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I am starting a new project and wanted to get input from everyone. I have noticed while digging around here that it seems the first thing we all do is add a lift and tires then move onto bumpers etc. (assuming it is running right). Maybe I am wrong but the 1000 "check out my bumper" threads tells me Im on track.

Well, I got the itch and instead of just hammering together a new bumper I reached out to my brother. He is an engineer / welder / designer / fabricator for the last 25 years and has access to a really high tech shop. I on the other hand can wash dishes very well :spin1: . He liked the idea, designed one and asked why we were not selling them based on the fact that they are so expensive? I realized when I saw his design that this is a great idea. He cut it from sheet, relieved it for welding and designed it in such a way that the bumper becomes its own jig. Brilliant. And with any cheap welder any one could put it together.

But before I venture into this market, I wanted to ask for your opinions on this and ask what you thoughts are? I have some mock ups with stingers, winch plates etc, but I am looking for what you would want and what a reasonable price point would be. I put this in this forum, as if you are welding, then you would be fabricating.

Any input is welcome. Good or bad. Will post better pictures later but you can see them here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/macpiago/JeepBumper# Old and new and bad angle

http://picasaweb.google.com/macpiago/JeepBumper02# some pre fabrication pictures which explains what I was trying to describe.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Check out IronScorpion.com. Chip is a member here and his designs are really sweet. I call them oragami bumpers. You need a hammer, some clamps, and a welder to get it together. You bend it into shape on the vehicle which allows for rigs that have been tweaked. A little finish grinding and paint and you have one of the nicest bumpers out there for a very reasonable cash outlay. A search on here should yield some nice threads on peoples builds.

Nothing wrong with your idea,but that thing is "butt ugly".
iphone%20016.JPG

Perhaps refining the corners and slimming it down a bit would help, as in pull the corners back closer to the body for starters. Cutting off that factory air dam would help your jeep look better too by the way...

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else, you need to slim it down some and round off those edges. It looks more like a Nates 4x4, when a lot of people like Iron Scorpion. And do you have tie-in brackets?

Back