• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood vents in winter climates?

slapshot

NAXJA Forum User
hey all;

weird question i was wondering if anyone runs hoot vents here in the great white north. and if so, how do you deal with the snow after overnight parking. drip pans?

pce

I've got runcool vents and haven't had a single problem in hard rain storms, sitting still or driving. No drip pans. I accidently sprayed lots of water in the vents last time I washed the Jeep and didn't have any issues. If you are really worried about it, put dielectric grease on all the connections that will be under the vents.

i have had my Lebaron hood vents on for over a year. i havent had a probelm with snow or rain. we had the biggest snow since 79 here last winter and my jeep sat out in the parking lot the entire time. brushed the snow off the hood and roof and it started up first try without a problem.

I run boat vents and the openings are larger than most vents out there. I've had 3 to 4 inches of snow packed over top of them and I just start it up and let it melt as the jeep warms up. Never had any issues with the vents.

I've had hood vents on mine for the last two winters with no issues. We had quite a few nasty storms last year with significant snow falls and extended sub-zero temps. Engine temp still gets up to 200-210 range.

The outside scoops are from Summit Racing. I used the mesh from the top of an old air filter for the ventilation on the scoops.

The inside are marine portals. I throw on the covers if it gets cold.-B

Umm, off topic I know, but where did you get that snorkel? I like the way that one looks better than an ARB.

it's an Airflow Snorkel. It allows the fit of the flares where the ARB does not, i think. I can't for the life of me remember where/who i bought it from. I think Dirk at DPG, or Jason at Jeepin' Outfitters can supply one. -B

i have pontiac GTX vents with drip pans. i live in WI and have not had any problems. i also know people running lebarons with no problem.

Can not use the airflow if you have abs sucks I want one if there was only a way to modify it but Dirk at DPG does not know of any one who has done this.

Sorry for getting off topic but after a big rain shortly after putting them in one of the sensors on the throttle body went bad not the IAC But the other (can't think of the name) but made a little rain gaurd out of sheet metal now they never get wet runs the rain rite off of them

Dirk at DPG has them as well as Jason at jeepinoutfitters (which is where i got mine (but it think he gets them through Dirk))

they fit with bushwackers but do not work with ABS. the ARB with work with ABS (geeze thats a lot of three letter A words, hope that makes sense)

Dirk at DPG has them as well as Jason at jeepinoutfitters (which is where i got mine (but it think he gets them through Dirk))

they fit with bushwackers but do not work with ABS. the ARB with work with ABS (geeze thats a lot of three letter A words, hope that makes sense)

If you are saying the ARB works with ABS, I don't think it does. With ABS a cowl vent is probably your option, like a military Humvee.

(If I had wanted a Hummer I would have asked your sister--my favorite bumper sticker, thanks Bob Dog.)

I also have cut fenders So the ARB would hang to low and they do work with ABS it is the way the tube routed. Plus the airflow looks much nicer.

And form what I heard the cowl is very loud in the cab

If you are saying the ARB works with ABS, I don't think it does. With ABS a cowl vent is probably your option, like a military Humvee.

(If I had wanted a Hummer I would have asked your sister--my favorite bumper sticker, thanks Bob Dog.)

It does work with ABS, the tubing runs down the fender (where the washer bottle is on newer XJs) and routs to the front of the stock airbox.

The ARB comes with a washer bottle relocator so the tubing can run up the inner fender

Back