• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ waterpump and mechanical fan on XJ

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Would it be possible (assuming no shrouds were used) to put a ZJ 4.0L big mechanical fan and clutch on an XJ? I know you can use the ZJ clutch with XJ fan but I was thinking about using the entire ZJ fan. If ZJs can stay cool with them why couldn't an XJ? Thoughts?

The fan shroud is the other half of the cooling fan equation. You could have a giant fan hooked to the front of your engine, without a shroud, all it is doing is blowing air around the engine compartment.

A properly maintained and functioning stock open cooling system is all that is needed for 98% of all Cherokee owners. If you need more cooling capacity, a three core radiator is the best solution.

If you have overheating issues, they are not caused by the size of your fan.

Just run the ZJ cluth and xj fan. Got it on mine with no problems. Keeps the temp right where it needsto be. Plus the fan shroud helps pull the air through the raidiator. Just my 2 cents.... :dunno:

Tim, you beat me to it.

Would it be possible (assuming no shrouds were used) to put a ZJ 4.0L big mechanical fan and clutch on an XJ? I know you can use the ZJ clutch with XJ fan but I was thinking about using the entire ZJ fan. If ZJs can stay cool with them why couldn't an XJ? Thoughts?

It should mechanically fit, assuming you didn't try to run the XJ mech fan at the same time (the fans would definitely collide). It might be too deep and put the fan into the radiator, so that is definitely something to check. As Tim also said the shroud would be pretty important if it was the only fan.

I don't think the ZJ fan hung on the water pump (?) would be centered properly behind the XJ radiator. And, if you could put the fan in the original place, you would negate your original idea. Don't forget, the ZJ radiator is taller than the XJs, and you couldn't use the shrouds. The shrouds are useful to manage airflow, and the fans are more effective with them.

The ZJ fan is something like 4-6" larger in diameter than an XJ fan. I doubt it will fit.

what year ZJ are you getting the fan clutches from? I know the severe cooling one's won't fit, but I'm assuming the regular one's will and cool better?

what year ZJ are you getting the fan clutches from? I know the severe cooling one's won't fit, but I'm assuming the regular one's will and cool better?

NAPA part number 272310, $44, ZJ HD fan clutch, not the ZJ MAX COOL.

that part number actually shows as for a 4cylinder XJ???? wonder why it would be any better than a regular 4.0 fan clutch which is listed as napa 272318 and costs $5 less??

Strange, I just searched again and it is still the 1998 Grand Cherokee HD 7" fan clutch for the 4.0.

This fan clutch, part number 272310, is the HD clutch that can be used on the XJ.

The 272318 is a standard XJ fan clutch. Why not pay $5 more for extra cooling, as that seems to be what the OP was wanting in the first place?

Back