• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Americans favoring isolationism at highest level in 4 decades.

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
WASHINGTON - Americans are turning away from the world, showing a tendency toward isolationism in foreign affairs that has risen to the highest level in four decades, a poll out Thursday found.Almost half, 49 percent, told the polling organization that the United States should "mind its own business" internationally and let other countries get along the best they can on their own, the Pew Research Center survey found. That's up from 30 percent who said that in December 2002.
Results of the survey appear to conflict with President Barack Obama's activist foreign policy, including a newly announced buildup of 30,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan to fight Taliban and al-Qaida extremists.
Read the rest here

Read the rest here

In a way I agree, I'm reminded of a air base we had in Italy, the locals 'wanted the americans out', the CO closed the base gates for two pay periods, about a month. Then paid the payroll in American $2 bills. The locals never said boo after that.
Same in Hawaii, the economy heads in Hawaii wanted Pearl and all the other bases closed, they did a repeat including keeping closed when a carrier group complete with the USS Constellation came into por after being on yankee station for 6 months, that's over 10,000 sailors, they stayed 2 days and headed for Long Beach instead of the two weeks that were planned.
The economy heads were screaming bloody murder.

Yea, I would like to see us do the same thing for a couple of years. No foreign aid, no tourists, no imports, no foreign students, any country that bitched about us during the past 2-3 years gets the cold shoulder.

But what I would really like to see is us working towards getting off this rock and into space on a large scale and do it by ourselves.

Back